Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I thought the 2.8 was a dog. I had a 2000 A6 2.8 Quattro a few years back and acceleration wasn't a strong point, being about 8.0-8.5 seconds, 0-60. I would think a stock 900se Turbo would easily destroy any 2.8 Audi, from a drag or a roll. From a roll, I would think it would be no contest whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
2.8 is slow. I had one. All of 190 hp. That is it.

However, if it was a 2.7 biturbo, that one is 250 hp (stock) and can easily be made into a monster with a few mods.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
You missed the post above-you had a chance to call someone else a Magazine Racer.
Lol, I wasn't quoting a magazine, I was drawing from my own experience driving the 2.8! It could be a bit quicker in a 1997 A4 as it might be a little lighter than a later A6, especially if the car didn't have AWD.

And like Talladega900 says, the 2.7L TT is an awesome motor/setup. They are an absolute beast with just a stage 1 tune/chip. Too bad the cars are fucking notorious for repair costs and blown turbos!

Also, Forced_2.0, does your 1995 900se have any mods? Post some pics!

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Lol, I wasn't quoting a magazine, I was drawing from my own experience driving the 2.8! It could be a bit quicker in a 1997 A4 as it might be a little lighter than a later A6, especially if the car didn't have AWD.
That's what I do. Only problem is I have memorized all the info from being on forums, being in friends cars, stuff like that. It's just about never from a magazine lol.

But, haters gonna hate.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
is your saab stock? because 98 2.8 a4 walked my 95 900se from a roll (drivetrain loss comment)
there's something wrong with this....

i was just barely able to keep up with my grandma's A4 2.8 avant in my 900s 2.3N/A (yes... i raced my grandma, she's a badass)

should be able to easily pull away since Audi gearing is not meant for acceleration.

was able to stay next to my friend 1.8tqm when i was still N/A

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whats the 5 dollar thing about?? I didn't know we had a war forum, sorry about the misplaced post. But he didn't seem like he had much of a pull at all. Yes my car is stock (except air) and will be till next spring with taxes. so can anyone tell me what the heck t5 is? is that the turbo off of a aero?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
whats the 5 dollar thing about?? I didn't know we had a war forum, sorry about the misplaced post. But he didn't seem like he had much of a pull at all. Yes my car is stock (except air) and will be till next spring with taxes. so can anyone tell me what the heck t5 is? is that the turbo off of a aero?
T5 is not the turbo, it's the engine management system that the ng900 runs on.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
A friend had one back in high school, the 2.8 was a pretty big dog. As mentioned, they had about the same HP as the 900 SE turbos but not the AWD loss.
They also weigh 5100+ lbs.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
They also weigh 5100+ lbs.
uh, no. curb weight is around 3200, which (lol) is not much more than an ng900. and the 2.8 was rated at 190/204 as compared to 185/194 for the saab. rolleyes or whatever you want, but as far as i can tell, i'm the only person who has posted in this thread that has actually done a 60-100mph pull with both of these cars side by side.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Uh, yes. Check this, S4 variant, but the same chassis:

And yes, I, too, have done the same side by side because I owned them both at the same time. '97 NG900 Talladega, 2001 A4 2.8. Wife driving the A4, me in the Tally.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
GVWR ≠ Curb.

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle. For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 4,500 pounds (2,041 kg) might have a cargo capacity of 2,000 pounds (907 kg), meaning it can have a gross weight of 6,500 pounds (2,948 kg) when fully loaded.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
as jk88 said, gross vehicle weight and curb weight have basically nothing to do with each other.

besides that, the s4 weighs about 175lb more than the a4 w/2.8, thanks to two turbochargers and associated intake/intercooler/oil plumbing, not to mention the heavier brakes and heavier seats, and heavier douchebaggery.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts