Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I pulled the current engine from my '95 CS (manual) and previously purchased a replacement from what I believe was a '95 something, but automatic. I took the flywheel off and tried to mount it onto the replacement engine, only to find out they have completely different crankshafts! What? The automatic 2.3t had a crank that protrudes further out of the block and a different bore for the flexplate & torque converter. There is no way my flywheel will fit onto this engine.

What the hell is going on? No one EVER mentioned there was a different in crankshafts. What am I missing?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Are they both "straight" engines?

crank on a '95 9k is the same one used all the way until recently even on 9-5 according to the parts list... older (like say 1993) B234 though had a different crank!

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
No difference in crankshafts between auto trans and manual trans, none at all.

If you are mixing a 1993 or parts with 1994 or newer you might run into some issues, but I don't know for sure. But I do know for certain that the transmission type has no bearing on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No difference in crankshafts between auto trans and manual trans, none at all.

If you are mixing a 1993 or parts with 1994 or newer you might run into some issues, but I don't know for sure. But I do know for certain that the transmission type has no bearing on the crankshaft.
X2 that im aware off, like said, if its 93 or older that would make sense

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This was definitely pulled from a 9k. I even checked the site inventory and it was a '95 according to their inventory. Here's a couple pictures to explain the situation.

BELOW: The manual transmission engine I removed from my vehicle. Crankshaft is shown.

BELOW: The crankshaft form the automatic transmission engine I purchased from a wrecked 9000... also a 1995 according to the yard. Same year as my 9000.

Notice how they are completely different. There is no way the flywheel from the bad engine will fit onto the engine purchased which had an automatic mated to it.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts

That isn't part of the crank, that is part of the flex pate that broke away when the flex plate was removed. Just pop that piece off.

Trust me, I know the cranks are not different, I'm sure I would have run into it when I converted my auto trans 9000 to a manual trans ;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
x2 on what jk said again the flex plate broke away, cranks are the same pop that piece off...:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'll try it tonight. From what I saw last time I was out, it didn't even look like that came off! I'll see what I can do tonight.

Oh, but does anyone know why the AT crankshaft protrudes more than the MT crank?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Oh, but does anyone know why the AT crankshaft protrudes more than the MT crank?
NO!

They are the same goddamn crankshaft!

edit, I can clearly see that is the hub from the flex plate, it is a separate peice from the face of the crank! You can even see the locating of the dowel hiding in there. Same crank. I have mixed and matched auto trans and manual trans motors MANY time. Same crank.

Same crank.

Same crank.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
it is a tight fit to the crank, just use a small chisel and hammer between the two and it will come off trust us lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts