Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and i just visited a newer junkyard and found a couple of saabs....there was one NG900 but no motor, rest was mostly stripped, still had the SID though, and a couple of 9000 and some 80's saabs, i am by far no expert at identifing older saabs, ie early 90's 9000 and late 80's 900. but we opened the hood of a early 90's 9000 i would say that it was around 1990-1991'ish and it still had its turbo, but my friend said that it was a T3 turbo a tiny one but still a t3, and i was wondering if i were to take the exhaust manifold and the flange would i be able to use them on my 1999 9-3? i think if i took the flange itself our exhaust manifold is cast iron which is really hard to weld correctly? but i dunno i looking for ideas for a t3 flange on my car...any input would be great. thanks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Coops, those earlier turbos might not be worth your time, even if really cheap. My memory is a little fuzzy, but unless the car was a 9000 CSE or Aero, you're looking at a tiny light-pressure turbo. Not much bang, even for small bucks....

It's a totally different story if you're looking at a CSE or an Aero....If you're looking for a junked car, narrow your range to an 00-02 SE. You can get a TD 04 turbo for a couple hundred salamis, and -- you'll need to check me on this -- I think your current oil/coolant lines will match, so you won't have to fab up anything.

·
Registered
432 Posts
mike saunders said:
Coops, those earlier turbos might not be worth your time, even if really cheap. My memory is a little fuzzy, but unless the car was a 9000 CSE or Aero, you're looking at a tiny light-pressure turbo. Not much bang, even for small bucks....

It's a totally different story if you're looking at a CSE or an Aero....If you're looking for a junked car, narrow your range to an 00-02 SE. You can get a TD 04 turbo for a couple hundred salamis, and -- you'll need to check me on this -- I think your current oil/coolant lines will match, so you won't have to fab up anything.
i dont know man.. i know someone that pushed 13s out of his old T3 powered 9k .. they arent that bad...

·
Registered
352 Posts
since your car is a '99 9-3 like mine you should have a t25 in yours....from what i hear the t25 and t3 are "the same????", not sure about this but the t25 isn't a small turbo to begin with.....if you've got the money, go for a garrett GT series turbo

·
Registered
352 Posts
i sure hope not, that's what i plan on putting in my car when....
1) i run megasquirt as a replacement to T5
2) my warranty wears out

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
aren't those the really HUGE turbos? I'm thinking you could just drop one in but to get anything close to it's full potential (or just supply it with enough air) you want to have upgraded intake, intercooler (the $1700 kind?), DP/racecat/exhaust, probably need more fuel to the engine to match the extra air (injectors, FPR?) , new ECU (I think you have that covered with megasquirt, right?) and maybe some more? upgraded tranny/clutch, jet-hot coating, lots of porting and polishing of various parts, turbo inlet and delivery pipe upgrade? I could be wrong, i am just guessing that without that stuff to support it you may find it not living up to it's potential. You also would be trading less low end more more top end, right? but then again you have t5 so it may not be as complicated as i am thinking, i am always thinking in terms of t7. :roll: doesn't co-saab run a gt series turbo? he probably has a bunch of info on that type of upgrade.

so when does the warranty run out? :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
plus, i'm not quite sure i want to put soo much money into my car at this point.....i'm inclined to go buy a cheap beater rwd car to do some drifting in, check out some of the drifting videos......those guys are nuts!
if saab went rwd, i'd buy one

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
The GT turbos are just like the T series turbos they come in various different sizes to fit many applications, its just that the GT turbos use newer (better) compressor and turbine designs that make them more efficient. keep in mind that the T series garrets were designed waaaay back in the late 70's when saab started turbocharging the 99, and basically they were only marginally updated after that, and turbo technology has come a long way since then.

Paul

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
so looks like you will hit two more years before 80 large miles.

I am gonna hit the time limit rather than mileage limit on mine, too. (2.25 years old and only about 22,000 miles) I'll probably be at about 27-28K at 3 years... gotta drive to more Saab meets, I guess. :wink:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
cool. I found some new roads this weekend in rural albany county, out past new salem Saab, good curvy 55 mph ones. kind of reminded me of saabtoberfest. :wink: I let the girlfriend drive (she keeps begging to drive my car because she hasn't drove it since I got stage 1) and she got so excited that she blew past a Sheriff car sitting in a parking lot checking speed. (doing 60 something in a 35 or 40). he just looked and peered out with a menacing look over his sunglasses and sort of shook his head. Then she decided she had her fun and it was my turn to drive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet if it was a guy driving (me) He would have pulled out and nailed me with a ticket. :roll:

·
Registered
352 Posts
yea....where was the cop, was he at the troy high school parking lot?....i did that once with my eclipse friend sitting shotgun....i don't know what the cop's facial expression was but he didn't come after me... :lol:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
it was out in the country, in New Scotland or something.... (outside Albany), rural albany county... we were out apple picking and I thought "there are no curbs out here, I will give her a shot driving"... see, i am afraid to let her drive because she is used to her tank and tends to drive over curbs and cut corners and I want to keep the curb rash to a minimum... :lol: In her defence, though, she drives fast on those twisties pretty well, and loves to go fast. I think I have her sold on a Saab for her next car. :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
awesome.....i can't believe how quickly this thread got off topic :lol: :lol: :lol: , do you use aim? it'd be a lot easier than posting :lol: PM me if you've got it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts