Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was hoping someone could explain to me what is the deal with these aquamist water injectors? I understand how they work and that they are used to prevent detonation. So I guess what I'm asking is if I were to put a stage 3 tune on my 2003 9-5 aero and also put a aquamist injector would I be able to still used regular octane fuel (US) and get the same performance?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Long answer short, NO. The aquamist more or less is giving you the most out of what you have available. Without the octane there already to support the afr needs, you will have more detonation and possible knock and the aquamist would be more or less attempting to catch up to the lack of fuel support.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Depends on your water/meth mix. Water/meth injection will certainly raise octane. If you're just injecting water your adding oxygen, but you're primarily just cooling the incoming air to make it denser.

If your question relates to performance as in "increased" performance, the higher the octane of the gas in your tank the better.

The real benefit I see in adding aquamist (or other w/m systems) is that if done correctly you can advance timing considerably without getting knock--a pretty good way to increase performance.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
assuming it worked (i doubt you would get the same performance from premium to regular), it would take 400 gallons of gas before you actually started saving money. thats ~10,000 miles of driving before you see an ROI, ASSUMING it worked. and this does not include the cost of methanol being added to your mix. it is quite possible that it would end up being just as expensive to run water+meth (not including the cost of the system) and 87 octane, as it would be to just run 91-93 octane

T7 cars are already notorious for melting pistons when people use regular gas (especially people at altitude). you'd be taking an awfully big risk, IMO, that is not worth it.

save the grand, and just use premium.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Piston melting point well taken. If you are considering adding a w/m system, and you're doing additional tuning to get the most of it, spring for the little led warning light that tells you your tank is getting low. Be diligent in keeping it full.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
assuming it worked (i doubt you would get the same performance from premium to regular), it would take 400 gallons of gas before you actually started saving money. thats ~10,000 miles of driving before you see an ROI, ASSUMING it worked. and this does not include the cost of methanol being added to your mix. it is quite possible that it would end up being just as expensive to run water+meth (not including the cost of the system) and 87 octane, as it would be to just run 91-93 octane

T7 cars are already notorious for melting pistons when people use regular gas (especially people at altitude). you'd be taking an awfully big risk, IMO, that is not worth it.

save the grand, and just use premium.
I think it would be more like 2000-3000 gallongs of gas would need to be purcahsed to see a ROA on the $1000 aquamist system. By my math anyway.

Either way, ummmm, not the best idea to rely on the aquamist as opposed to the correct grade of gas to keep from knocking :lol:

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
$1000, yikes! Is that what they're getting for an Aquamist nowadays?

I've got a Snow Performance Stage II that I paid about a third of that for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I really appreciate all the assistance. It seemed too good to be true, to just add an aquamist injector and just eliminate detonation. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Its not necessary "too good to be true."

Water injection certainly has it uses, but using it as a way to run low octane fuel is not one of them. At least not one that makes any sense to me.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
on my stock viggen i had a dyno proven 11 more hp and 13ftbls over stock on a stock car it helped out but a tune is waaaay better i only did it cause i had it laying around

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
you arent going to add much hp by simply putting water injection on a stock car. the way you get more power using water/meth injection is to add more timing and boost with the tune :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts