Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything special about 99 Viggens? It seems everytime people mention Viggens lately they are extra enthusiastic about getting their hands on a MY 99. I thought after 2000 they had an extra 5 horses and stronger pistons. Or is it just the 2 door thing that everyone is so excited about?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The Saab 9-3 Viggen features a potent 2.3 liter high output turbo-charged engine that produces 225 hp at 5,500 rpm and impressive maximum torque of 252 lb.-ft. from 2,500 rpm all the way through 4,000 rpm. This highly modified powerplant is controlled by Saab's Trionic T7 engine management system for exceptional turbo performance and response. It is matched to a 5-speed manual transmission.

Only 400 Saab 9-3 Viggens will be imported into the U.S. for the 1999 model year. All will be Lightning Blue - a color unique to Viggen. In addition, all 1999 9-3 Viggens will feature two factory-installed options - heated front seats ($370) and an in-dash CD player ($180).

The Saab 9-3 Viggen adds to the long list of standard comfort and convenience features found on the 9-3 SE model (like a power glass sunroof and automatic climate control) with a Rocky black leather interior with textured deep blue leather inserts, front power sport seats with supportive side bolsters and driver's seat memory, and a leather-wrapped sport steering wheel, shift knob and boot. In addition, Viggen is the only car in its class that features a hatchback design - which provides outstanding loading flexibility and class-leading cargo capacity.

·
Registered
251 Posts
im not sure if he covered what u were asking, but they did make coupes after 1999 and they did make the same blue after 1999. I think the reason people like the 99 viggen is cause it is the rarest. only 400 were imported. They also have two tone leather. They are 5 less hp and 6 less tq, which is the main downside. I didnt hear anything about piston strength. They just seem more like a special edition cause they are all the same color, same exact body and so rare.

·
10,303 Posts
I can testify that there are now at least 399 '99 Viggens, as body panels of one wrecked one now live on my car.

Abduckted, slide over to the events section and sign up for my Central NY meet.

·
Registered
251 Posts
u want to make a wager on that one? lol......u mean to say at most :oops:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. That explains the hype about the 99 model... limited production.

on a side note, I have seen a few Viggens with two-tone red and black leather on some websites. I think I may have even seen a black and yellow interior. Not rcmdesigns car, in case some one jumps in and says that. It was a Viggen. I wonder if that was done aftermarket? or maybe a Euro only option? If I can find the pics again, I'll post them...

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Yup i think thats the one he's talking about. You can buy that interior on here for $475. Here's info about it.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep, PIMP indeed.

I think it was in a 9-3 brochure somewhere I saw the red two -tone.

Nice link to the aftermarket covers, by the way. 475 for the whole interior!?!? Any color? now that is PIMP-a-LICIOUS!

·
Administrator
668 Posts
what makes the newer viggens have more HP? what did they change?

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"There are two variants of the engine in the Viggen. Before a certain date in the MY2000 run the pistons were a cast aluminum alloy with hard anodized tops. These proved insufficient for the Viggen's power levels. After that date they were changed to forged. The previous engine from the 9000 Aero had forged alloy pistons which are capable of 500+ horses in stock form.

I don't currently know the VIN which identifies when the engine was changed from cast to forged, but I'm told fairly early in MY2000 run."

Taken from Adrian's cardomain site. Maybe he can tell us where he found this info originally?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Whoa ... I've been gone a while, didn't see this thread.

I have a PDF document listing the differences.

The pistons, and con rods were strengthened in MY 2000 for the B235R. Also, in 2000 they dumped the use of air flushed fuel injectors, which can make upgrading the MY 99 Viggen's fuel system interesting.

The pistons were further reinforced in MY 2004 for the 9-5 Aero.

The "Flame Ochre" interior was indeed a factory option. Phillip HS from Saabscene has it in his MY 1999 Viggen. His car was also one of the original Saab showcars, and is now tuned to around 300 hp. 8)

Adrian~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts