Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about tires for my aero wheels, as they are off the SPG right now due to severe rubbing problems. I'm not interested in changing the front size, 205/50R16 is perfect up front and doesn't rub. I also don't want to do mix and match - been there, hate not being able to rotate properly.

My car has SD (which are B&G I believe) lowering springs, so no rear end sag.

I have soft bushings, which doesn't help.

That said, the rubbing that I get with the 205/50's in back could be totally eliminated with about 1/4in outward movement of the fender lip at the back of the wheel well. Anybody tried this? I know we don't have a lip like most cars, but I imagine the whole edge of the wheel well could be flared out to make room.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Instead of rolling fenders you can relocate the rear axel &/or get a airbad to put inside the rear springs. I did those on my 87 SPG when I went with aero rims & it eliminated the rubbing. The airbag allowed me to add more air when I was carrying something heavy. This car had koni & intrax springs

On my 88 SPG I went with 18in rims & didn't have rubbing but I did relocate the rear exel. I didn't mess with the airbags due to using brad's adjustable springs...... & I also used koni's

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There really isn't anything to roll to gain clearance on the inside of the wheel lip of a c900.
I guess rolling isn't really the right term. I think "flaring" might have been a better description.

Basically, the inside of the rear wheel well is shaped something like this:
....| /
....| /
__/ /
---/

where the horizontal is the fender lip itself and the angled right side represents the inside fender liner. What I'm saying is, is it possible to push that whole thing, inner fender and the edge of the quarter panel, outward (and probably a little upwards)?
.......| ___
....../ /
...../ /
__/ /
---/

It would end up making the quarter panel bulged slightly outside the fenderwell, but if you did it right I think you could contour it to match.

Does that make any sense or am I smoking crack?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wyldsaabman rolled the fenders on his 93 recently.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
try going 205/45-16's all around instead of the 50's.

No rubbing:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've considered spring spacers, but this is definitely an offset and axle centering problem - adding height is a band-aid, especially since I lowered the car...

As to the 45 profiles - I imagine I may end up there, but I like the way the 50s fill out the wheel wells better, and I have a major problem with the effect reducing the tire height has on the speed/odometers. 45 series tires have a 6x greater effect than 50 series do over stock.

Two other notes - Looking at the pictures Talladega900 posted, first of all my front aero wheels definitely appear to be further out of the fenderwells (maybe an illusion). Second, in this picture

The crease above the rear right wheel - do you know how that came to be there? My car has the exact same crease, I've been told it's a telltale of a rear end collision

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
One of my old crappy c900s developed those marks around the rear wheel wells after I jumped it high and landed hard. :lol: That car was "soft" though.

I've also had those creases in a car that was in a front end wreck, but never ever hit in the rear. But yes, they do arise after getting bumped from behind...but they can show up from other causes.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Moonracer actually had a story about that since PaulH's '91 has some trouble in those spots as well. Moonracer said they were in the habit of ratcheting down the cars too hard on the transport trailers en route to dealers, hence the downward crunch in that region.

Thought that might be something to noodle on.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Yeah, I've been told that as well. I've seen some cars ratcheted down to the point where the springs have bottomed out, so I could certainly see that happening too if it was tied down back by the bumper...that's would be a lot of leverage over the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've considered spring spacers, but this is definitely an offset and axle centering problem - adding height is a band-aid, especially since I lowered the car...

As to the 45 profiles - I imagine I may end up there, but I like the way the 50s fill out the wheel wells better, and I have a major problem with the effect reducing the tire height has on the speed/odometers. 45 series tires have a 6x greater effect than 50 series do over stock.

Two other notes - Looking at the pictures Talladega900 posted, first of all my front aero wheels definitely appear to be further out of the fenderwells (maybe an illusion). Second, in this picture

The crease above the rear right wheel - do you know how that came to be there? My car has the exact same crease, I've been told it's a telltale of a rear end collision
Well, there really isn't a crease. Optical illusion, I guess, as in this shot, there's no sign of it:

And in a full profile shot -- from each side -- you can see it's smooth all the way to the flare, and also see how the wheel/tire fills the well:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did as GM suggested, and relocated the rear axle 1 CM forward. No rubbing with 205/50's on my 16" aeros.

Also, you can also extend the bumpstop, which is easier than relocating the axle (6MM hex I think, but I am not certain on the size part), but you may bottom out more.

I extended mine 1/4" (added washers between bumpstop and mount) and minimized my tire rubbing until I relocated the axle. I didn't really notice bottoming out, but I rarely carried a load.

~Junkie

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Okay, having scrutinized my car more carefully, I've concluded that this IS possible.

Keep in mind, I drive a franken-SPG so I have no concerns whatsoever about originality. I also carry loads a lot, and trailer (this leading to not wanting to extend bump stops)

The profile of the inner fender at the back of the wheelwell is such that the entire edge of the fender (lip, inner fender and quarter panel) can be pushed outward without too much difficulty. Probably in about a week here I'm going to pull my SPG arches off (they're both wrecked from rubbing, anyway, rear tabs are cut) and see exactly how far I can push it without making the SPG kit un-fittable.

As to the axle relocation - I've thought about that one, and I have trouble reconciling myself to making those modifications - elongated bolt holes and suspension components just doesn't sit well. I'm a little OCD about modifying my cars, so take that with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you contradict yourself a lot.

also, bring me some ammo next weekend. this baby is in mint condition.
And just how did I contradict myself, sir?

I've got your finder's fee sitting in my safe at home. Better be worth the extra $250 I ended up spending on my 12ga that trip...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.