Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Its a tiny turbo.

I believe its like a TD-04 13T(used in the 93 V6 aero) or something silly like that. They could have gone bigger, and should have.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Already itching to go faster ? Didn't we just pay 40k+ for this car ?? I get the intent, but a fast as hell 9k/900 goes for about 3500 said and done these days. . . . And your new 9-5 will still have a warranty.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm never going to understand saab's obsession with the TD04 15T. Regardless, they make that turbo do spooky things, things mitsu and subaru would never dare with a turbo that size.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I'm never going to understand saab's obsession with the TD04 15T. Regardless, they make that turbo do spooky things, things mitsu and subaru would never dare with a turbo that size.
When something works - you just don't fuck with it. Look at the GT-17 - those worked wonderful for Saab - they sold thousands of those stupid things thanks to a shit build quality. If only Mitsubishi could build a car like they can a turbo they'd have something else worth buying...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mitsubshi made some really nice turbo cars in the late 80's- 90's...they were never popular in the US and because of our Emissions regulations many never made it here...the 4G63T was a better engine than Saab would ever dream to make.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
the 4G63T was a better engine than Saab would ever dream to make.
Not too many people are ignorant to the fact that the 4G63 is good, but there were versions of it that were bad (crank walk lawl). Also, I don't consider an engine handling 500hp with all stock internals a bad engine.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
the 4G63T was a better engine than Saab would ever dream to make.
thats because instead of day dreaming about building a good engine saab was actually making one. That is all Im going to say and (crank) walk away now

:saab

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Not too many people are ignorant to the fact that the 4G63 is good, but there were versions of it that were bad (crank walk lawl). Also, I don't consider an engine handling 500hp with all stock internals a bad engine.
The majority of crank walk can be written off to a poor decision on the clutch system

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can do some mild compressor upgrades, but there's not a lot of meat to take off on the turbine side to do turbine upgrades. The stock turbo has the L instead of HL turbine, much smaller and runs out of steam sooner.
Why the hell would anyone waste time upgrading the miniscule stock turbo? It would be nice for a 1.5L engine. I think Saab(GM)used it because they have a heritage of turbocharged engines. Even an 18T is small for the 2.8. If your going to upgrade the turbo, start with a 3071, at least.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Why the hell would anyone waste time upgrading the miniscule stock turbo? It would be nice for a 1.5L engine. I think Saab(GM)used it because they have a heritage of turbocharged engines. Even an 18T is small for the 2.8. If your going to upgrade the turbo, start with a 3071, at least.
lol wut

1 - 17 of 17 Posts