Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had hear from (update) KevinY
on all this cf work and molding he's been doing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey guys,

I will actually have some tricks and treats that I will post later today. I think you will enjoy. The rear wing is turning out to be very challenging in CF. Do to the shifting contours, the mold is difficult to shape correctly that you get the least amount of seam showing. The final piece will be carbon fiber over a foam core (really light compared to stock unit but stiffer and stronger!). I am putting threaded pieces of steel stock inside the piece for attachment. Due to the increased stiffness, I will not need the center brace on the new piece (theoretically). Anyway, check back later this evening or tomorrow for the treats!
Kevin
:twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK, so still no pic, sorry. Treat turned into trick this weekend when the new piece stuck to the mold. So, now I have to refinish the mold. I was going to wait until the pieces were finished to tell you what they are, but since I am now delayed, I will go ahead and spill. I am now making carbon fiber mirrors, full mirrors, not just recovered stock mirrors. Also, I am making the front grill (older style since the opening are bigger) in carbon fiber with stainless steel mesh. This will be an exchange item as it will still use the stock black plastic attaching frame which will be epoxies to the front CF piece. I can't wait for this piece to finish as it should look really great, especially when combined with the CF hood. It should give the front an new look with the hood and grill appearing to be one piece CF. I should have pics by mid/end week. Hang in there.

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK, working late on molds tonight. Finishing up the stock NG900/9-3 hood mold from which a number of variations can be made, but if people just want the stock hood, I have it now in CF. So, here is the list of CF parts I will have ready -

- Viggen style wing and base with my custom wing side extenders- $600 (this is a real bitch to make)
-Stock NG hood - $600
-Vented Hood - Yankton Tuned Style - $750
-NG900 Engine Cover (overlays existing cover) - $85
-Door entry panels (3 door) - $100
-Rear hatch entry panel - $65
-Rear View Mirrors (on exchange) - $125
-DI cassette cover - old style - $65
-DI cassette cover - new style - $65
-Grill with stainless mesh (on exchange) - $175
-B-pillar covers (overlay) - $75
-3 gauge pod/A-pillar cover (passenger) - $150
-Front brake cooling ducts - $75

Now, for Saablink buyers (and I know who you are), I will offer a first time discount. I am having a new web site developed and the site rollout will include the official pricing (as noted for the first time above) and high resolution pics. All the parts will have a UV and chemical resistant clear gel coat outer and be made of the highest quality resin for high temperature operations. Some of the parts like the hood and wing will include threaded metal plates inside the pieces to bolt the latches to just like the stock unit. The hoods will require the use of hood pins for safety reasons. As all the other manufactures state, "these hoods are intended for off-road or show purposes only."

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow, this all sounds really really nice! I am definately going to have to pick up a few of these parts :D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Yeah most of the pictures are up on his site guys if you didn't see em... http://www.kyankton.net/Carbon Fiber.htm

Looking sweet :shock:

I will definitely be buying some of that!

Kev, any way you could get a hold of someone's roof spoiler from saablink, or if you know someone that has one and get that molded into CF also? I really want to get my hands on the roof spoiler!!!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
If someone is willing to send me the original part, I can give them a free cf version for letting me borrow. On that note, I need help from someone with mirrors. I broke my stock passenger mirror last night, not the glass but the plastic shell that I am making a mold of in CF. Anyone willing to send me a mirror in exchange for a cf set? I will post a pic by next week of how the driver's side looks in cf so that you can get an idea of the final product.
Kevin

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
hell yeah, a roof spoiler is like the holy grail of impossible to find 900/9-3 accessories. I want!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
316 Posts
$5 or $10 bucks? Thats reasonable enough, right? Afterall, I have not spent that much on equipment, supplies, learning and perfecting the process, and my time is for free anyway, right? :D

Actually, I don't think I have seen a roof spoiler. Does anyone have a pic?

Kevin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I got thousands!!!!!! And yes $10 would be nice :lol: Well you worked hard, I'll send $15

Looking at these pics, there seems to be two different kinds of those roof spoilers :D I like the one of marteen's car (the green one) better...

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
it would be nice if they fit the 9-3 without having to modify/lose the top brake light. I know you 900 folks don't have to worry about that.

I'm sure Mr. Y could make them, the only problem is finding one to mold! :shock:

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
rcmdesign said:
Well I heard they are held by three pins that go directly into the top of the hatch, and if you sand off the middle pin, you can keep your third brake light. But maybe I read that wrong :D
it would also be nice if you could still SEE the light, that's what it is there for. :wink:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts