Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 900 Turbo and an 88 SPG myself. Anyone else have one? Here is a small pic of the SPG, I'll post others later.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Nice SPG!! Your taking good care of it. I used to have a 85 900 Turbo, and a 92 900 S, but no SPG :roll:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey, sup. I have a 87 SPG, and NA 98 NG900. looks like it is in real good shape. my SPG needs alot of work, i'm starting to lose my transmission, but i got a new one for $250 from a 91 SPG. hopefuly i will get it in soon. but until then, i will keep everyonje posted. Nice to see an other SPG!

later.

·
7,595 Posts
Oh yeah, I try to take good care of it. saabindru900, I checked out your page looks like a real nice SPG you have there :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey.........got a 1984 900 turbo 16 on an A plate....the guy who owned it before me had it for 16 years and kept it in immaculate condition....I had it for one month and some nut broke in and ripped the stereo out and trashed the dash.......some people.....anyway the car drives real well, alittle on the stiff side for the roads around here......Looking to do some basic mods soon to improve power, APC upgrade, FPR, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Qua?

I'm a n00b, there, i said it. Would someone explain or point me in the direction of an explanation of the diffrence between the spg and classic? I'm fairly sure i have a classic 900 (non turbo) but it's still a diffrence that i'd like to be able to spot. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
"classic" is any 900 fron 1979-1993 (1994 verts too) An SPG was the Special Performance Group packaged made by saab from really 86-93 Lower stiffer springs, body kits, and higher base boost setting on the turbo. Tho, there isn't much you can do to a normal non-turbo saab, you're best bets are to upgrade the cams to get some good hp. Otherwise, get a good rebuilt Turbo engine with a good turbo and you'll be able to dust MANY a ricer... Hope this helps

·
Registered
29 Posts
thanks

it totally does, and the rebuilt engine that i'll be installing is in fact a turbo, i may be a n00b but i have no illusions that i'd be doing anything with the current engine that's in my car. A friend of mine has been working in his dads garage since he was big enough to walk and he recently pulled his 2.0 litre from his 9000 because he found a good deal on a 2.3 that he spent most of his down time last summer rebuilding. He is currently working on rebuilding the 2.0 so we can take out and toss my current engine in favor of the "new" one. I'm on a winter hiatus of sorts so i wont be able to get anything done till i go home this summer, but i really can not wait till i can get on this. thanks once agian

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 1991 900 S Aero LPT (Light Pressure Turbo) in Le Mans Blue. 160000 miles. Well, it used to be LPT. Now it has a 900 alloy intercooler, Manual Boost Control and wastegate tweak, running 1 bar boost. Straight-through exhaust, no cat, which sounds absolutely mental. It sat in a junkyard for 3 years before being restored, so it's my Rescue Saab. 8)

·
Registered
112 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
"classic" is any 900 fron 1979-1993 (1994 verts too) An SPG was the Special Performance Group packaged made by saab from really 86-93 Lower stiffer springs, body kits, and higher base boost setting on the turbo. Tho, there isn't much you can do to a normal non-turbo saab, you're best bets are to upgrade the cams to get some good hp. Otherwise, get a good rebuilt Turbo engine with a good turbo and you'll be able to dust MANY a ricer... Hope this helps
actually SPG packages went back to 84, than around 88 they added the water cooled intercooler and so on and forth. they added all the cool stuff after my saabie :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
Actually SPG's were made from 1985 to late 1992 (later considered 1993's)
The 1985 and 1986 SPG's did not come with the sport handling springs that started in 1987.
They all came with an estimated 15 additional HP over a regular 900.

For the record there is plenty you can do to a NA 900 I am doing one right now.
Not having to deal with turbo lag and having 12.5.1 pistons is always fun too….
I am using a 1985 turbo head with Crower camshafts….. There is a list of my mods to my 1988 900S under the 900NA forum….

·
User
9,193 Posts
I have 2 c900's.... I have my baby, Natalie (1990 900 Turbo hatch), and the new comer to the family, an Edwardian Grey 900 SPG (1987), I named the SPG k8tie7. heh... :lol:

·
7,595 Posts
I do find it funny how Zach names his cars before they are even in his ownership :lol: hehe, I don't ever name my cars, but I guess I can understand those who do. saab names em from the factory, so I think that's good enough for me...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought Zach was going to buy it for sure.... but now it's listed on Ebay....
Hey...... some of us name other stuff too :wink:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I named my 9000 Sandra, but call it either Swedespeed or the 9000
Where-as the new SPG i have i'll just Call the SPG or SWEDESPEED 2 (the plate goes on what ever car i drive :))

1 - 20 of 31 Posts