Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having to fill my Antifreeze every few weeks because it goes from full down to half, any reason why this is happening?
I would think there is a leak somewhere or something but when ever I park on asphalt I never notice any puddles or anything, unless it's a very small leak?
And I already had to change the coolant hose after it blew up while driving
Not to mention the Autozone didn't have the same exact hose so I had to get a similar shaped hose and fit it, and that shouldn't be the culprit because it's been fine for about a year or two now.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea now that I think of it, it just started about a month or so ago.

And now that you say white smoke, not really, but I do see a lot of exhaust when it's dark and cold out, which freaks me out.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Thats normal when temps are below 40 or 30 degrees, as long as its not white smoke and smells sweet then your all good
Yea now that I think of it, it just started about a month or so ago.

And now that you say white smoke, not really, but I do see a lot of exhaust when it's dark and cold out, which freaks me out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Water pump. You don't notice it because when the car warms up the leak seals itself with a warm engine. If you notice the coolant low, then look just below the water pump pulley and you should see the drip before you move the car. It can sometimes be confused with oil leaking in the same area since there is a lot of oil around there.

The pulley shaft seals are leaking when the cold contracts the metal. My mechanic says to wait and not spend the money until it really starts to leak and you notice. It shouldn't be that bad, like a blowout which is what I feared. So far he has been correct and My car runs fine with this problem. I lose about the reservoir amount over 2 months for the last year, Less than 5000 miles and I'm still ok. So, if I notice it begin leaking when the engine is hot, then I will spend the money and pay my mechanic to replace the water pump with an OEM water pump only. I've heard aftermarkets can blow out when they fail leaving you stranded.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Probably the water pump as was said. Mine too is leaking. Just ordered one from eeuroparts that should be coming in tomorrow or Wednesday. With 148k on the engine, its definitely something worth replacing.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Water pump jobs are not too bad. I think I could do the next one in less than an hour.

Last time was 30 minutes to get it of and 45 to get it back on.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Anyone think to check the heater core? It's inside the car and if the dains are clogged the leak would not be known....

As for the water pump, buy the HEPU rebuild kit - for $75 you can not go wrong. Be sure to add the one O-ring for the spacer tube.

If you are loosing 1/2 tank every so often - there is an evident leak somewhere - I'd find it first before just putting new parts on the car....

Pull your spark plugs and check for white residue from a possible cold headgasket leak. Might be worth dropping new plugs in to while there if you are due.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
If the water pump is going bad you can usually tell by grabbing the pulley and give it a wiggle. It shouldn't wiggle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm well today I noticed a wet spot on the grass and it was antifreeze! I found the leak! it's like by my oil filter by the AC hose. And to add to that my headlight wiper is leaking now too! arghh.
So could the AC hose be leaking? If that's not it, what parts around it could be leaking?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts