Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not me, my brother.

He's over his 08 Cobalt SS. It's a race car for the street and it's starting to beat on 44 year old body. I drove it for a couple days last summer and I'd shoot myself if I had to drive it every day.That and he can't afford it after having his hours cut.

Budget: $8-12k
Criteria: AWD, wagon.

He's more or less narrowed his search to 3 cars, Audi A6 Avant/Allroad, BMW 325xi or an Ovlov V70r.

Of the 3, which one is going to be the least problematic, be the least expensive to maintain over time and be the most reliable.

Oh yeah, anyone interested in a low mileage 08 Cobalt SS?

He's open to suggestions

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why not a 9-2x Aero?

He will not want to pay to maintain a high mileage R, Audi or BMW.
Thats what I'm trying to tell him and the cars he's looking at in his price range are all 100k+ mile cars. We found a nice, one owner V70R for sale by a private owner. It appears to be well taken care of plus it has service history. But it's still a 100,000 mile car.

I tried to steer him toward a used WRX or Imprezza wagon and he says they're too small. I'll suggest the 9-2, but I can his guess his reaction.

Just did a quick Autotrader search. 9-2x Aeros are hard to find. 9-2x's are hard to find. I had to widen my search to 500 miles and still only came up with 15 cars. The prices are good and the miles are lower.

The 9-2x Aero is a turbo and the Linear is naturally aspirated?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The v70 could be a pain, i can almost promise that the Audi will piss him off beyond belief when it breaks, not if, when. I worked for a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer around the time where the cars he will be looking at were built. If he gets a 3.0 6 he might be ok, empasis on ok, not good, but they accellerate with the ferocity of a cruise ship, i'm pretty sure i got beat @ a merge point by a minivan when my mom had her '03 3.0 a6, not to mention the mileage was horrid. The 3 series wagon would be my choice of the 3 mentioned, keeping maintenance in mind. The allroad wagons were sweet (audi) but always breaking, usually right after they ran out of warranty. I really like the 3 series wagon, although if i were to get one, i'd either spring for a 540 wagon in the states, or travel to europe and snatch up an m5 wagon or a 335 wagon. But anyway.... Thats my long post of the night.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
We found a nice, one owner V70R for sale by a private owner. It appears to be well taken care of plus it has service history. But it's still a 100,000 mile car.
so where is this car located?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mentioned the outback but he didn't seem excited by it. Plus to get one in his price range we're looking at cars well over 120K.

That and the 4cyl outbacks and legacys are dogs that get shitty mileage. Mixed highway/city driving in my 00 Legacy GT yielded a 16mpg average.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like he needs to be less picky about wagon or AWD.

Edit: How about a Toyota Matrix? They are pretty small though.
No Matrix. Just no.

Why he wants a wagon I don't know. He's always had coupes or trucks. He's divorced, has one kid and honestly I don't see him remarrying or having any more kids. He doesn't need a wagon but wants AWD. It's hard, not impossible, but hard to get one without the other.

I suggested the 9-2x Aero to him and explained why it's the perfect car for him. Also explained why he doesn't want a high mileage Euro car.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to try and talk him into a 9-2x. He doesn't need a big car. He's single, he lives in a condo with a small one car garage.

The HHR is a possibility. I've had bad luck with the two Chrysler products, a 95 Grand Cherokee and a 2001 Ram. I will not suggest Dodgy products to anyone.

Age is important as far as safety features go.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The R cars do require $$ to keep them well maintained. Just about everytime I go to the shop to get a repair, it's $500 to $750. I could probably skip some of the repair costs but then I wouldn't have a car that's rock solid at 135k miles. I can't say it's more expensive then my Viggen though or my other cars that don't get driven as much.

If he doesn't have enough $$ to keep his Cobalt SS...any of the 3 cars that he wants will probably cost him to keep running. The Allroad will have 2k + in repairs if something happens to the suspension...not to mention having to do the balljoints on a regular basis. If the Audi has twin turbos....not cheap to get fixxed when they go out....and you want the water pump to be done every 60k.

Of all the people I've known that have owned R cars and their problems - it's enough to make me never buy one. Which is a shame because they are otherwise cool cars.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Jlausch and DViggen, thats the kind of info I need to convince him not to buy a high mileage Euro car.

I've been looking at some 9-2x's. They aren't easy to find, but the ones I'm finding are lower mileage and about the same price range.

Aside from the obvious, what are the major differences between the WRX and the 9-2x? Did Saab soften the suspension and do the interior?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The R cars do require $$ to keep them well maintained. Just about everytime I go to the shop to get a repair, it's $500 to $750. I could probably skip some of the repair costs but then I wouldn't have a car that's rock solid at 135k miles. I can't say it's more expensive then my Viggen though or my other cars that don't get driven as much.

If he doesn't have enough $$ to keep his Cobalt SS...any of the 3 cars that he wants will probably cost him to keep running. The Allroad will have 2k + in repairs if something happens to the suspension...not to mention having to do the balljoints on a regular basis. If the Audi has twin turbos....not cheap to get fixxed when they go out....and you want the water pump to be done every 60k.
Totally agree - the allroad is very cool in concept but seems impractical due to maintenance schedules and costs.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.