Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, the ol' Viggen is getting some long overdue TLC this fall. So far, new dic, bpc valve. New water pump and trans output shaft seal as soon as I have a free weekend, along with a new flex pipe to replace my leaky one. Possibly new lower control arms w/upagraded bushings as $$ allows.

Car already has 3" DP, saab sport catback, GS open filter, MP rear arb, rack clamp/brace, forge BPV. Looking at a reasonably conservative "stage 2" tune once the maintenance items are all done.

Question is namely, what other hardware should I look into prior to a tune? I was oogling the GS filter-to-turbo delivery pipe as a possibility, but that may be overkill. 6 pt brace? GS trans mount? Any other maintenance items I'm forgetting?

Thanks fellas
Chris

EDIT: I do drive the car just about every day, and it sees 15k+ per year (120k on it now), so please don't suggest a Holset and Stg 5+ ;)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
By far and away, you should get a larger intercooler. Unless I missed something, the performance difference between a true large intercooler compared to the stock Viggen IC is huge for both peak power and avoiding heatsoak.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It depends where you live, in NJ only a few months out of the year would i get bad heat soak and not every day. Here in Oklahoma it was everyday of summer and even some days halfway into October. In CT it's not a big issue most of the time.

I now changed my mind, get solid mounts all around, and 6pt brace.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I can't believe that stupid pipe is so expensive. I bet you could have someone fab a better one up for the same price.
Better? .. maybe, maybe not. You could fab your own up for a cheaper price, but it is a quality build, hence the high price. I say make your own, good learning experience.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You have to think that the flange to the turbo doesnt come in stainless, so that has to be machined. Then also stainless is not cheap, plus most people do not have a tig to weld one of these together. I hate the stainless wire for mig welders compare to using a nice tig. That pipe from gs sure is pretty too haha

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It IS a nice piece, and it does seem a little bit pricey...but I chalk it up to development costs. The shops that create these parts spend quite a lot of time on the front end and have to offset that in some way when the product goes to market. Unfortunately the saab market is pretty small and they don't move many units, so the price remains on the high side.

Anyway, I appreciate the input guys. I think at a minimum I'll go with the GS trans mount (I'm sure mine is worn out), and start looking into FMIC options. If I sell my damn Merkur in the next couple weeks I should have some spare $$ for a few extra upgrades, which of course I'll post.

Chris

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
You will be much happier with a large FMIC. Just go on ebay and get one for a $150-200 for a good one and then adapt the existing intercooler piping and you have the best improvement for your setup in my opinion. It will give you more power more consistently in all conditions.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm do tell about this "damn" merkur.. xr4ti??
88 Xr4ti. I've sunk a bit too much cash into it and I'd just like to get rid of it. Prev. owner blew the motor, I found one and replaced it, but the power steering is shot and paint isnt great. I don't want to put more time / $$ into it. Runs & drives great.

Listed on Hartford CT craigslist.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts