Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm pretty much done with my 02' 9-3.. I've been shopping around for a new car these past few weeks and I would appreciate a few opinions.
must be quick, comfortable, 13k price range, manual is a plus but not a deal breaker..

I test drove an 06 9-5 aero and was really impressed, its at the top of my list, but in my price range i've seen some rx-8's and chrysler crossfires, both look like fun cars to drive, anything i should know about these cars? any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
so I'm pretty much done with my 02' 9-3.. I've been shopping around for a new car these past few weeks and I would appreciate a few opinions.
must be quick, comfortable, 13k price range, manual is a plus but not a deal breaker..

I test drove an 06 9-5 aero and was really impressed, its at the top of my list, but in my price range i've seen some rx-8's and chrysler crossfires, both look like fun cars to drive, anything i should know about these cars? any other suggestions?

Thanks
The fuel consumption on the RX-8 can be a deal breaker for some. It drinks gas like a 6.0L V8. Mazda extended the engines warranty over reliability concerns. It is uber balanced but has very little tq, needs lots of revs. Great car, but not everyones cup of tea.

The Crossfire is a first gen Benz SLK with a huge discount. Car offers a lot of bang for the buck. Interior is a bit low rent and there is not much room to modify, though I have seen a Benz V8 shoehorned in place of the V-6. The SRT-6 is auto only which is a real downer.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Is the car for fun or everyday driving? I only ask because if you need an all around, all-season car, vehicles like the 350z, s2000, RX-8, and others might not be suitable. If it were me and I had 13k to spend on an all-season vehicle, I'd look at the following:

B5 S4- $8.5-$10k is mint, well maintained, semi-low mileage money. While the car will not be "new," it will be as a competent as anything else. With this car, you could invest the extra money OR save for future maintenance/security.

Newer Saabs...06+ 9-5 and 9-3 Aeros should be well within your price range. Saabs are always good value used cars considering that they depreciate quickly after first sold. Letting the first owner take the depreciation hit means more car for less money for used car buyers.

05+ Subaru WRX...awesome cars for the money. You may be able to find an STI inside your price range, but condition may not be ideal.

Audi TT

Mini Cooper

04+ Acura TL

While there are literally countless options, the above is what I would be interested in at first glance. Another thing to consider is your ability to maintain a premium used/newer car. If you don't think you can, than a warranty, mileage, and things of that nature will have increased importance. At the end of the day, just assess your wants and make sure they reasonably align with your lifestyle/finances. As always too, make sure you test drive a bunch of vehicles. Don't buy the first car you drive and really do your homework and due diligence. If you do those things you'll make best, informed decision possible. Good luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response. The car is for everyday driving, but I really don't mind driving a stiffer car, my 9-3 had the koni kit, and I preferred it over softer rides.. Also the car has to be 05+ or interest rate doubles for me.. I've test driven a few cars. I don't like the Acura tl, it wasn't comfortable for me. So far the 06 aero is looking like the winner, it's reasonably quick, and is a setup I know how to work on. Is the suspension setup the same for pre 06 9-5s as 06-10 9-5s?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
So far the 06 aero is looking like the winner, it's reasonably quick, and is a setup I know how to work on. Is the suspension setup the same for pre 06 9-5s as 06-10 9-5s?
Yes - same design/style - different part numbers.

92X Aero is a good option to consider - 2005 MY only for the Aero (turbo) LOTS of Aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hard to argue against a mini cooper, a wrx, a mustang gt, a 350z, as proper sporty or sports cars for that price range.

Any of those will be attainable, somewhat reliable (mini excluded), and fun as hell.

If you can swing an a4, a viggen, and a gti then those are more "grown up" options that i'd consider for daily drivers that won't beat you up

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should probably mention that I'm in the Canadian market, so the price range will probably be around 10k us, and if i wasn't restricted to a 5 year or newer car, i would probably already have the viggen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts