Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not just cheaper than it was, but cheaper than a wrx....for the month of May there is a total of 7k worth of incentives for the Aero, meaning they can be had for about $20k...maybe I should pic up another, just for rallying...

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
A great idea. Someone needs to buy them.

With the car discounted to the slimmest profit margin possible, maybe more folks will be drawn to "My First Saab." I used to think the 9-2x was an abomination.

Now, whatever saves the company.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a first time Saab owner, and all I hear all over the place is about how this isn't a "real" Saab. This isn't the first time a car company has borrowed from another manufacturer, whether it be platforms or engines or suspensions. So they practically copied the whole car, but it was a good car and they tried to make it their own.

With all this love being given to Saab and talk about it not going under you guys should really be showing some love to your new comrades in cars :) . When I bought the car I felt proud to have a SAAB! :eek: But that feeling will fade fast if every other person that owns a Saab acts snooty and says I'm driving a fake.

All I'm saying is you should be careful who you chase away, because I for one am a person that respects the Saab name and feel proud to have entered the Saab "family" 8)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
loburon said:
Hey guys, I'm a first time Saab owner, and all I hear all over the place is about how this isn't a "real" Saab. This isn't the first time a car company has borrowed from another manufacturer, whether it be platforms or engines or suspensions. So they practically copied the whole car, but it was a good car and they tried to make it their own.

With all this love being given to Saab and talk about it not going under you guys should really be showing some love to your new comrades in cars :) . When I bought the car I felt proud to have a SAAB! :eek: But that feeling will fade fast if every other person that owns a Saab acts snooty and says I'm driving a fake.

All I'm saying is you should be careful who you chase away, because I for one am a person that respects the Saab name and feel proud to have entered the Saab "family" 8)
You make some valid points.

You should remember, however, that the car wasn't copied from Subaru -- it IS a Subaru, albeit with a better suspension and prettier body cladding. :D Saab has used other platforms before, especially the NG900 sourced from Vauxhaul, and the 9000 sourced from Fiat, but never a complete re-badging until the 9-2x. (Which is WAY easier to take than the 9-7 monstrosity.)

As far as the other stuff goes, see the post above. Whatever saves the brand is fine by me. If the 9-2x is a toe in the water toward a more Saab-developed AWD vehicle, then ok...

Welcome.

:D

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I think it's amusing people say the 9-2 &/or 9-7 are not a saab because 1 is built it a Subaru factory & the other is built in my home town of Dayton Ohio.

However I feel since it has a stamp on the sheetmetal stating SAAB it's a saab

True, it's not built in Trollhatten Sweden nor was it completely designed by Swedish engineers however one needs to look back in history & realize when the last "true" saab was built

9-7 - designed by GM - tweeked by saab

9-2 - designed by subaru - tweeked by saab

9-3ss - shares a GM chassis, same as G6, etc. Also shares engine with cavalier :)

9-5 - I forget which chassis, but it's from GM :)

NG900/9-3 - Opel Vectra (I think) chassis (1988) which is a chassis equal to a 80's US spec cavalier!

9000 - chassis a joint venture with fiat, same chassis that a alfa 164 uses

C900/99 - I forget what was shared on that car, I beleive the engine??

I am not familair with the older saabs

·
7,595 Posts
I would like to add some notes...

gm said:
9-7 - designed by GM - tweeked by saab (I'll give you that, but by the time the tweaking had been completed all of the last engineers at "saab" had been fired, not to mention they had nothing to do with it anyway

9-2 - designed by subaru - tweeked by saab (same deal as the 97V except I do think their last real project was to design the new rear motor mount- which I am pretty sure saab engineers did do on that car)

9-3ss - shares a GM chassis, same as G6, etc. Also shares engine with cavalier :) (the engine is also shared with saturns and the olds alero, and the cobalt just to name a few. global engine, but the saab engine version was tweaked more than a little by saab.)

9-5 - I forget which chassis, but it's from GM :) (some parts Vauxhall vectra some part saab 9000, but mostly *gasp* semi original components!)

NG900/9-3 - Opel Vectra (I think) chassis (1988) which is a chassis equal to a 80's US spec cavalier! (Kind of true..., the Vauxhall cavalier [later badged the vectra] did have a few suspension features that the US spec cavaliers never had, but this is essentially correct. one could probably get a 1981 chevy cavalier CS or a Pontiac J-2000 / Sunbird to out handle an NG 900 because they have 500 lbs less weight. I think if the cavalier sub frame was extended by about 2 inches and stretched another inch, it would probably bolt into the NG 900 with no other mods...)

9000 - chassis a joint venture with fiat, same chassis that a alfa 164 uses (don't forget the Lancia Thema. if you got really creative you could trace the 9000's past to some Russian cars! :shock:

C900/99 - I forget what was shared on that car, I believe the engine?? (triumph stag engine, but once it was saabified [all the problems corrected], it was much less a triumph engine and much more of a saab engine. the body there was all saab.

I am not familair with the older saabs
as for the older saabs, I could get into that too. anyone remember the ford V4 engines? :lol:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
yea, ford V4's

Lots of GM cars with the 9-3ss 2.0, I didn't feel like listing them :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
thank you brothers, I have not been burnt, and therefore feel cool once more for owning a Saab! 8) I've been loking at so much info for this car, I can't wait until I start modding it in a couple of years :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts