Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
since i have some images available, might as well share them with you.

note:
as the build progresses i keep updating this original post so the content doesn't get mixed up with the comments.

Dissasembling the block:

the old block

pistons before the wash

after

neck looks clean

cylinders look ok.

cleaned, greased and stored oil injectors

pesky torx on the balance chain guide gear

cleaning the end plates

balance axels cleaned

clean and machined

waiting for assembly

Assembling the block

oil injectors

installing and lubing the bearings

lube on the crank

crank in

pistons

cheking the ring gap

assembling the piston

first piston in

pistons and the crank all set

The distributor head assembly.

Oilpan, cover and the block is done.

The fuel pump

the original bucket

bosch 044 vs original

modifying the bucket

not much clearance

end product

out with the old fuel bucket and in with the new.
Clutch & wheel

sachs 570Nm clutch

lightened flywheel

Turbo

td06sl2-20g
IC

600x300x76mm
Cylinder head

adjustable

The head
Misc

everything cleaned, labeled and stored away.

I'll keep gradually building the engine during the winter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

For the early 99 part, good question, atleast it differs from the T5 block a bit, you can see to the balance shaft chambers from inside the crank shaft chamber, but other than that, T7 and a block were pretty much the specs i had on it when i bought it. I can check the part number if you like.

It came painted in black with a 9-3 oilpan which would suggest that it is a b235r from a viggen. Got a 2001 aero oilpan waiting to be installed on it, its a bit different since it also connects to the tranny housing.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
ah, my only concern would be for the first startup but i guess if you prime the oiling system well enough you should have no worries

·
Registered
551 Posts
Wow, great thread and amazing pictures.

Maybe I missed on of the other threads, but what was the reason for the rebuild? The crosshatching on the cycl bores looks perfect. Anyways, Ill follow with Interest.

.... Not to mention this is the first time Ive seen the Innards of a GM saab block.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, great thread and amazing pictures.

Maybe I missed on of the other threads, but what was the reason for the rebuild? The crosshatching on the cycl bores looks perfect. Anyways, Ill follow with Interest.

.... Not to mention this is the first time Ive seen the Innards of a GM saab block.
Well the engine currently in the car has done over 260k already and secondly, it has under 400hp ;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm curious as to why you chose that turbo and where you got it. My friend wants about 400 hp for his 9000, but we're finding that amount of power is kind of a no man's land in the Garrett GT turbo series.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update, added rest of the distributor head pictures, pic of the IC and the adjustable timing gears.

For Raven18940: I bought the turbo from ebay from place called Japan Warehouse (JAW). For why i choose it, well the flow charts indicate that it should be enough for 400+hp along with the few dyno tests on other cars i've seen. The main reason for this was that i wanted to test something else than the obvious GT3071, which atleast is quite well tested also on saabs ;)

here is what i used for guidance, though these are only rough numbers and the turbine on my turbo is the sl2 which should give some more room to the left of the stall line
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc...p_3=88&intake_temp_4=90&turbo_n=1&map_sel0=91

·
Registered
879 Posts
Update, added rest of the distributor head pictures, pic of the IC and the adjustable timing gears.

For Raven18940: I bought the turbo from ebay from place called Japan Warehouse (JAW). For why i choose it, well the flow charts indicate that it should be enough for 400+hp along with the few dyno tests on other cars i've seen. The main reason for this was that i wanted to test something else than the obvious GT3071, which atleast is quite well tested also on saabs ;)

here is what i used for guidance, though these are only rough numbers and the turbine on my turbo is the sl2 which should give some more room to the left of the stall line
http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc...p_3=88&intake_temp_4=90&turbo_n=1&map_sel0=91
Careful, I think your volumetric efficiency and BSFC might be on the optimistic side. Are you planning for cams?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 162 Posts