Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as a few of you know, I have been having some running related problems. well I started thinking it was oxygen sensor related, it wasn't... I tried swapping the MAM's with a known good unit, and at first, I *thought* that was the problem because I was able to get the car into closed loop by playing with the settings on the MAM. Turned out I could get it into closed loop, and get the car to run OK by playing with the MAM setting, however I just discovered the route of the problem today! Apparently the brake booster diaphragm has been leaking quite badly for some time now, and it's damn near blown at this point. I was dropping so much vacuum into that thing that the engine must not have known what the hell was going on :roll: Over the last 6 months I had been wondering why every time I walked away from my car for a few minutes and came back, my brakes took a few seconds to "re-charge" when I started the car.... so I just un hooked that thing and plugged up the line to the booster and took it for a drive. Perfect, right into closed loop with the MAM at 380 ohms, no lean running issues and I have full power back. Not exactly easy to stop the car with out power brakes, but at least it runs good again. I guess tomorrows project is going to be replacing my power brake booster.

anyway, from looking at the problem and looking at it again and again, I had convinced myself that it HAD to be fuel injection control related. turns out that the fuel injection was working just as it should, it was just running everything wrong because there was a very large amount of un metered air getting into the manifold from the blown brake booster.

I guess it goes to show that it's a good idea to explore all possibilities when doing troubleshooting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts