Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently this buzzing noise has began to tick me off alittle and i can't seem to locate a source for this buzzing. It is most apparent around 1900-2400 RPM. The noise is coming from the passenger side maybe inside but definatly the passenger side of the engine bay. Opened the hood and the only things around the passenger side of the engine bay were the cruise control box and the power steering rack. I gave a ride to my friend and he said that to him it sounded like a metal on metal vibration so maybe it is or is not electical...any inputs here would help me maintain my sainity while driving, thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
do you have any aftermarket electronic devices in your car?

i have a computer in my car and before i switched power supplies i was getting this god awful buzzing noise at various rpm levels

·
Registered
745 Posts
I noticed the same on my Green 97 NG900....maybe its the color of the car... :lol:

But seriously...., I had the same issue.., and the dealership suggested the evaporator was going bad and somehow vibrating inside the dash. I just haven't had the time to go in, and confirm.., but only happens when my Climate control is on.

The buzzing could also be the little fan near the sensor for the Climate Control to sense the temp changes...happened on my 93 9000.., after replacing the fan..no noise or buzzing.

hope this helps a little..

regards

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have been getting the same damn noise in my car since day one. It's a 1999 BLACK 9-3 and I asked about it and nobody seems to be able to confirm what it is and yet they all say there is no need to worry. Would love to get rid of the sound though!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol maybe it is something about green saabs that someone didn't like on the assembly line. But for real this little noise happens both when i turn on my air and when its off. If its real low RPM like 1600, or idle theres no buzzing but as soon as it hits 1900 starts buzzing and continues through-out the rpm range. Where is the sensor that was mentioned that detects different temperature changes located?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I also to have a strange buzzing in my car, but it only happens when i come home fr0m a drive, and shut the car off then i can hear a buzzing from the engine.

Anybody have any ideas on what this is?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this buzzing noise temperature dependent ?
About 8 years ago I had this buzzing/vibration with my VW Diesel Golf.
I could swear it was under the dash - something to do with the evaporator or the fan motor ,or the core, something rattling/rubbing, making one hell of a racket !!
This noise only occurred at 45 to 55 mph ( 5th, also 3 and 4 same RPM)- avoid those speeds - no noise, and it was temperature dependent - which way, I forget.
So, one fine day, in desperation, I used the Great Stuff expanding foam sealer inside all the body cavities, everywhere.
That application, I am sure, cured the problem.
Maybe VW is not the only one with thin metal..
Once, long ago, I remember a Triumph TR7 with a body noise/hum/vibration , I think a thick application of asphalt undercoating cured it..

·
Registered
745 Posts
The evaporator was what my dealership told me...cost so much to replace, :shock: :shock: figured I could deal with the noise a little longer. : 8)

For some reason, I've been having to recharge the AC system every so often on my 97 NG900. :? :? Most of the folks that saw the car, say this should almost never happen on the car, even for a couple of years.

So some dye was put in my AC system, and they traced it to a leaking evaporator..which also apparently was vibrating against something causing the strange noise behind the dash, when the AC is on.

So I'm glad it wasn't the car's color......cause I was hoping I didn't have to change her from green to orange..... :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts