Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not want to steal the other persons thread, but I'm having the same(or similar) problem. I noticed this last year even.

When it gets cold out, I start losing coolant. It has been below 40 for a week and already I have "fill coolant" and the level is below the sensor.

I never seem to lose coolant when its warm out (summer, spring).

Do not think it is the HG, no excessive smoke out tailpipe, just regular smoke when it is cold out, which decreases in quantity as the car warms up.

Also never an oil milkshake.

Is there any way using the heater can cause a coolant leak? That is my number one suspect.

Also I remember a year ago last winter I was having the same issue, and the guy doing my oil change showed me drips of coolant on my splash guard. I'm not sure if that's related since I had recently topped off the coolant back then and it could have been some that I spilled.

But it is very possibly that it is an external leak.

Any help?

·
Registered
104 Posts
water pump

Yep,

I'd agree, Water pump. Expansion and contraction of metal and old seals. My car sits in storage and leaks fluid from there. I replace the fluid it lost, drive around and the leak stops. I was worried about a possible blowout and my mechanic said not to worry, keep driving it around. I'd know when it got that bad. It's been a year and it does the same thing. Happens more often in cold weather. Saving up for an OEM Pump and waiting for the problem to get worse before I take it to my mechanic.

It's the seal around the pump shaft that leaks and it's very hard to spot.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a good theory.

I have mine replaced about a year and a half ago how often do they die?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts