Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Aero. Both yesterday and today the alarm has gone off for no reason. Checking the owners manual indicates that the alarm system has a long life battery (10 years) and is not replacable without replacing the entire siren.

I've checked Eeuroparts and found the item.

Questions:

1. Before replacing I want to eliminate any other possibilities. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the alarm to go off?

2. If I do need to replace, where the heck is it? My WIS is down for now since I've replaced the PC with Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Yes, its inside the driver's front wheel well. With the wheel off, you should be able to unscrew enough of the plastic liner to get to it. Small hands help.

You can buy rebuilt alarm sirens for cheap. I think BBA (or BBK) does them and they work well.

In the meantime, you can just leave it unplugged so it doesn't go off all the time. You'll get a "Service Theft Alarm" message on the SID, and of course won't have an alarm.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Or if you're up to it.

Cut open the box, buy new batteries and solder them in yourself. I did this to my mothers 03 95 wagon. Been great since.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link over at SC. Great thread.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: ordered the Sanyo batteries. Since I can't lock the car without the risk of waking the neighbors, it is now in the garage. Alas, that means one of the classics will have to stay outside for now...

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
The repair on mine lasted about 2 years ( some say even less) I got the BBA-reman repair on a few SIDS and it has a lifetime warranty./

I just bought an ebay auction for 25 bucks including shipping for my alarm module repair... better than trying it myself.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do. However, two nights ago I caught someone at 2 am slowly casing the neighborhood.

And remember, the Fairfax County/Montgomery County serial burglar was caught out in Haymarket.

I may be in the sticks, but crime is everywhere.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Update: ordered the Sanyo batteries. Since I can't lock the car without the risk of waking the neighbors, it is now in the garage. Alas, that means one of the classics will have to stay outside for now...
You can remove the alarm box & the car will still operate as normal, except for making sound when you remote lock/unlock it. Open the alarm box & remove the red jumper ot open to curcit & kill the battery in the alarm. When you go tp place the alarm box back into the car lead the wire back up to the engine compartment, by the battery for easier access for any other problems.

Now go put the classics back to bed. 8)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can remove the alarm box & the car will still operate as normal, except for making sound when you remote lock/unlock it. Open the alarm box & remove the red jumper ot open to curcit & kill the battery in the alarm. When you go tp place the alarm box back into the car lead the wire back up to the engine compartment, by the battery for easier access for any other problems.

Now go put the classics back to bed. 8)
Already done. Also, alarm batteries are on order. Should be back in business soon.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Batteries came in today. Pulled the siren out. Sealed, and yet in the SC thread they look bolted.

Hmmm. To cut, or to use a solvent....?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Early ones (99-00) just unscrewed. I think 01- were sealed. I've been removing the siren and shutting the alarm off in TWICE. But I'm out in the sticks where an alarm is really just an annoyance anyway, maybe a less recommended option for an urban setting

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Yeah, when I did it in my moms 03, I had to use a dremel and was very careful but I got it open.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Started cutting with a coping saw, but will break out the Dremel tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Coping saw isnt a bad idea, just do one side at a time. Its probably a better idea too, no hot melted plastic shavings to get on you.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blade is dull as a butter knife. Dremel or at the very least, need to hit the hobby store and pick up some new blades.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Heat up a butter knife on the stove, then slice into that alarm box like a piece of cold butter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.