Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I hope everyone has had a nice weekend so far! This is completely random but I could not find an answer online.

I have a quick question, if the airbags deploy can you remove them so that they aren't impeding driving the car? The car is perfectly driveable, the steering wheel airbag just gets in the way when steering. And yes, it happened with the Z which is shitty.

I was thinking about cutting it out with scissors but wanted to see if anyone had some advice as to whether the expended airbags can be removed.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
I assume there was an accident and the car is insured and you're asking us how to drive a potentially unsafe car just so you can get it to a shop for repair...

Theoretically you might be able to, if you can even cut the material which is designed to be indestructible. Your best bet as a temporary fix before you can get the airbag replaced is to stuff it back in there as well as you can and tape it all up.

Keep in mind that your airbag light will probably be on until it's replaced, and you will probably fail state inspection for that.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume there was an accident and the car is insured and you're asking us how to drive a potentially unsafe car just so you can get it to a shop for repair...

Theoretically you might be able to, if you can even cut the material which is designed to be indestructible. Your best bet as a temporary fix before you can get the airbag replaced is to stuff it back in there as well as you can and tape it all up.

Keep in mind that your airbag light will probably be on until it's replaced, and you will probably fail state inspection for that.
Oh for sure, this is only to get home and to the body shop. I'm sorry for not being more specific, I am not going to drive the car until I have to go home. I tried to stuff it back into the steering wheel but it doesn't all fit and just comes back out. Plus, the horn is blaring while I try to push it back in haha.

yes they can be taken out, just like they were put in, its not like it is built into the car.
I realize that, I have no tools with me though. Can I just cut it out then?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks VT, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'm upset this all happened, it wasn't my fault but the law of CA says that if you rear end a car that had completed a lane change (no matter how abrupt or unsafe), you are at fault. Ugh.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What happened?!
I was driving south bound on Pacific Coast Hwy in Malibu around 4:30pm with my friend Danae. I was cruising in the right lane going around 60 in a 55 zone when I looked ahead and saw an obviously slow moving gardening truck so I signaled and merged into the left lane about 100 yards before the truck.

Right when I was about 5 yards from the truck which must have been going around 30mph, I saw a turn signal come on right in from and it was a black Altima that the truck was following very closely so it obscured the Altima from view until I was right there. The Altima proceeded to merge into my lane right in front of me and since there was a center divider, I had no exit and I hit the brakes instantly and just tried my best to hit the car square on to lessen the impact and damage a bit.

I glanced down at my speedometer and saw 40mph right before impact and then boom. I immediately made sure Danae was alright, I pulled over and it was a hard enough impact to where I thought the entire front end of my car was completely smashed. But as the pictures show, I could not believe my eyes. Literally, nothing except the bumper was touched, not even the hood or CF lip. There is one 3 inch crack in my bumper and that's it. My seat belt tensioners fired, cracking two interior panels and my airbags deployed but the Altima was seriously damaged.

He said that he was going to pass a gold Camry in front of him but didn't see me when he moved into that lane even though I had my headlights on.

Basically, the fact that I decided to hit the person square on means that there is no way State Farm can prove the other driver made an improper lane change. If I had more damage on the passenger's side, then they could make a case that the guy was still merging when we made contact, removing me from fault. Soooo, I'm going to buy an OEM platinum graphite bumper off the Z forum to that no paint work has to be done and will obviously have to remove my CF lip, the radiator support is untouched from what I can tell and the driver's headlight is slightly angled down but the headlight itself is fine.

Everyone was ok and that is what matters, I've never had an accident but I was proud that I stayed so calm and surprisingly did not care about what happened to my car at that moment. Now I definitely do care and am a bit upset it all happened.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Wow, glad you guys were alright... I'm amazed how your car looks almost entirely unscathed. Unreal. I guess the angle of impact and the relative speeds were close enough to minimize the damage to your car.

Sorry to hear it, Christian. I know how much TLC that car gets, but it looks like it'll be good as new soon enough.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
The unfortunate part is 9 out of 10 times if airbags come out the car will get totaled. Especially if the pass side bag is one of the ones that breaks the dash when it exits. Belt tensioners firing = all new belts etc.

Sucks big time, crazy to see like no damage to the z tho.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, glad you guys were alright... I'm amazed how your car looks almost entirely unscathed. Unreal. I guess the angle of impact and the relative speeds were close enough to minimize the damage to your car.

Sorry to hear it, Christian. I know how much TLC that car gets, but it looks like it'll be good as new soon enough.
I know, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Altima and then I saw my car. I think the impact bar behind the bumper took the brunt of the force. If I can't find a OEM painted bumper, I will tell the body shop to do absolutely no blending, just paint the bumper even if the color will look slightly different.

At least I won't have any rock chips anymore haha.

The unfortunate part is 9 out of 10 times if airbags come out the car will get totaled. Especially if the pass side bag is one of the ones that breaks the dash when it exits. Belt tensioners firing = all new belts etc.

It definitely won't be totaled, my friend had a similar accident in his Z and it was roughly $3,000 for the airbags, dash and seat belt tensioners. But I don't know what damage lies beneath the bumper.

I'm thankful because it could've been much worse but I'm still upset it happened.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

My wife got lucky then. She ran a red light and t boned another car deploying both front air bag and belt tesioners in her car and the did not total it. 12k in damages to her car (07civic ) in 08' I thought for sure it would be totaled

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My wife got lucky then. She ran a red light and t boned another car deploying both front air bag and belt tesioners in her car and the did not total it. 12k in damages to her car (07civic ) in 08' I thought for sure it would be totaled
Wow, glad she's alright. Airbags are the number one reason for a car to be totaled, I looked up the cost of replacing the airbags in my mom's LS430 and it would literally cost $15,000+. Front airbags, knee airbags, curtain airbags, and side bolster airbags in the seats.

Damn!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shitty. Glad everyone's ok!

Awesome how well the car seems to have taken the hit, too.
Very little visible damage to your Z, but damn, that Altima got lofalked up!

:signs053: :)
Thanks guys! I always wondered about how I'd react in an accident but I am proud to say that I was extremely calm and collected. I honestly didn't think about the car, I only cared about my passenger and then the other car's occupants.

I just washed the Z though, now I am beginning to be upset that my car is damaged. I went through all the visible damage and started a parts list, which looks like it will probably approach $4,000. The most expensive part is the dashboard which is almost $800, plus $1200 for the two airbags.

:icon_frown:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thats not too bad to be honest with you. German cars are expensive as hell for that crap. Looks like your car really held up well, Im surprised. Most SRS systems are designed around a 25mph threshhold for bag deployment, Im not sure thats the number that nissan uses though. Good thing everyone was okay!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
that much damage inflicted vs hardly any on your end, looks like a 15-20mph hit on a stationary car. impressed at z lack of damage, considering your car should've slid below their taller bumper.

i imagine your car's history gets marred by a 'significant' airbag deployment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.