Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my parents bought my sister her first car, 1999 9-3 5 door. really nice car, its an auto with 127k. i finally got to drive the thing tonight and i put her in sport mode. i mashed the peddle and slowly she climbed up through the RPM range. i noticed that the air flow meter only went to the area where the green ends and the yellow begins and did not at all touch red... i have a 900 se manuel and that thing sits in red all day, all stock. i replaced her stock BPV with a known working one and it still does the same thing.

what do you think would be causing it to do this? its not a HOT but do you think because its an automatic that would have something to do with it? any suggestions would be great thanks guys

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Right where the yellow starts is where the boost starts and vacuum ends. My first guess is you have a major leak in your intercooler piping somewhere. Check the two hoses going into the intercooler for cracks or pressure test the pipes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just went out to the garage and checked all the piping. everything seems to be intact and there are no signs of weak or rotting rubber elbows.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
A quick test is to pull the line off the Wastegate actuator. If you have no boost leak, boost should rise very quickly until you hit fuel cut (like hitting a brick wall under acceleration).

If this happens you probably have a faulty BPC.
Although the wastegate could also be stuck open or something (less likely).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yeah no MAF, it's got a MAP. If it's not throwing a code of some sort, I vote for boost leak too. I once had a stupid little boost leak, which was in the hose between the BPV and the charge pipe. Really annoying whistle when it finally got worse and I found it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Check the wast gate arm. The clip falls off and the wast goes compeatly open. This will cause a low/no boost condition and will not set a light
Had that happen too. The first clue is that the exhaust suddenly gets loud, and the car goes very slow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no code at all. im sorry but what is a BPC? lol im kinda new too saabs but not really......exhaust seems to be fine, vacuum lines are perfect. waste gate arm looks to be in good shape. im located in 01475. bought the car in Framingham, mASS

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
BPC = Boost Pressure Control Valve.

It is mounted to the core support on the passenger side of the car.
It's a fairly common failure for a Trionic 5 Car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.