Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aftermarket stereo installed now having SID issues. UPDATE: Issue Resolved

I had a aftermarket stereo installed professionally in the car on Wednesday. Immediately after I got the car back the SID started flashing on and off intermittently sort of like it has a short or something isnt plugged in all the way. It does it completely randomly as far as I can tell. I took it back to the installation place the next day. They looked at it and said that they didnt have to touch the SID to install the radio. They took the radio out and checked all the connections, everything was fine according to them. When the radio was out of the car the SID still flickered off and on. They told me there was nothing they could do because it didnt have anything to do with the radio install and that they hadnt even touched the SID before then. I also think they really didnt know anything about the SID anyway. All I know is that it didnt flicker before the radio install and now it does. Please help me trouble shoot this problem. Heres a pic of the radio install and a vid of the flickering (flickers at 0:07).

Video (cant seem to get it embeded in the post sorry)

·
Registered
75 Posts
well...my 97 had a radio installed and the entire SID went out..all I get is temp and MPG..and my dash dosen't power up sometimes unless I turn on my CD player..The interaction between the stock saab radio and the SID is very complex..I am actually going to install a stock radio back in and see if it clears up my problems. Others with much more experience with this problem should chime in, as I am in the same situation as you are.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
My bad, totally didn't see the video link. That's weird with the flashing dashes.

I'd double check their splicing job to be sure they didn't tie the old can-bus wires from the stock HU into the new stereo's harness.

·
Registered
315 Posts
same thing happened to me. if i had any regular single din radio with a pocket installed the sid would flash. but once i installed my double din it stopped. i think the frequency that comes out of the radio messes with the sid

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same thing happened to me. if i had any regular single din radio with a pocket installed the sid would flash. but once i installed my double din it stopped. i think the frequency that comes out of the radio messes with the sid
So its just annoying but not going to shit out at any moment?

srp said:
I'd double check their splicing job to be sure they didn't tie the old can-bus wires from the stock HU into the new stereo's harness.
I have no idea how to even take the stereo out. Thats why I forked over $500 for them to do the stereo installation and window tinting.

(can-bus, :lol::lol::lol:, in cali you get that from a club)

·
Registered
315 Posts
nope mine is still working fine but it does get very annoying. but the strange thing is who ever wired the radio in mine did something strange and no info would come up only the clock. no mpgs or anything. so i ripped it all out and put my own radio in. problem solved

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything works on mine except the DTE and its never right anyway so I dont really care. The only things I use are the MPG and temp sensor. I figured the DTE was tied into the factory radio, also the night panel now only blacks out the SID and not the dash gauges but whatever. At least I can listen to my Ipod and thats way more important then the night panel. So annoying I can live with as long as it still continues to work for a while. Im not planing on getting a new one anytime soon. I have other more important things for the car (like fixing the seeping head gasket, suspension etc)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i've never had any of the listed issues and have owned 94,96,97 900's 4 99 9-3's and 3 9000's. have used alpine and clarion decks. one being an alpine dvd/screen combo with a brain unit and have never experienced any complications. never spliced any wiring on the ng/og's used a vw radio harness. 9000's i just wired up to factory radio power supply. so why would it randomly happen to some and not others?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know..I suspect it is tied into the memory part of the aftermarket radio..Saab did their own thing..and their radio is a part of their total system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i've never had any of the listed issues and have owned 94,96,97 900's 4 99 9-3's and 3 9000's. have used alpine and clarion decks. one being an alpine dvd/screen combo with a brain unit and have never experienced any complications. never spliced any wiring on the ng/og's used a vw radio harness. 9000's i just wired up to factory radio power supply. so why would it randomly happen to some and not others?
That is what the shop used to do the installation. So Im not sure why Im having this issue.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The reason the SID is flashing is because the shop used a VW wiring harness that has a wire that's putting 12 volts into the car's data bus. Many VW harnesses have a loop that connects the radio trigger to another pin. That other pin is used for part of the data bus on our cars. If you look at the plug in the car that has the power wires, you'll see that 6 of the pins are silver-colored and two are gold-colored. The gold ones are the data bus pins. Cut the wire on the radio harness that's hooked up to that and your SID will stop flashing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What Jeremy said. I had this exact same problem using the harness from Genuinesaab when I installed my Pioneer. If you really have trouble figuring out which ones to cut let me know and I'll go pull mine out and check which colors I cut.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Omg thanks you guys. I am going to take it back to the shop and have them cut it (cuz they did the installation anyway and I dont have the tools to take out the radio). So if you can tell me exactly which one it is (color, pin number whatever) that would be super helpful.

Just to make sure I understand the problem: basically the answer is the VW harness has a 12v loop on it connected to the data bus and its fucking up the SID. If I cut that wire will everything on the radio and SID will still work properly?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I-Bus wires in all NG/9-3/9-5 are white and green respectively, and are a touch thicker as the insulation is a bit more rugged than the rest of the wiring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I-Bus wires in all NG/9-3/9-5 are white and green respectively, and are a touch thicker as the insulation is a bit more rugged than the rest of the wiring.
So I cut either the green or white one attached to the gold pin?

Maybe someone could take a picture pointing at the right one since this is way over my head. And obviously not something the stereo shop has dealt with before. I was to 100% sure which one to cut to stop the issue. Thanks

BTW I have a NG900 if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you guys are awsome..I will go to circuit city, get the pioneer radio removal tools and have a look at the wiring on my 97 900s..i bet that loop is in play on mine too. Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you guys are awsome..I will go to circuit city, get the pioneer radio removal tools and have a look at the wiring on my 97 900s..i bet that loop is in play on mine too. Cheers
If you do, you should do a photo walk through for us. Well me really cuz Im a total idiot when it comes to stuff like this. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.