Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey just had this overnight shipped to my house. After dealing with one company that took forever i went through Jegs and Perma-cool Oil Cooler kit. The quality of the kit is very good. Will be posting pictures of the finished install. Going to be installing in front of the grill, relocating the horn.

Dan

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I end my night or morning rather at 1:20. The Saab Won. It did not start. I installed the oil cooler, the coldest I saw the temp was -8.7. I change all the oil had to take off the intercooler and then the A/C condenser to install the Oil cooler to it.

The car had been sitting for 3 months; I charged the battery and started her up, no go. To me it sounds like there is no gas getting to the engine. It keeps trying to turn over but never makes is. My guess is that some moisture got into the lines during its 3 month sit. I removed the spark plugs and then put a little bit of gas in the cylinders then tried again, no go.

Anybody have any ideas?

Dan

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check fuel pump? Check for fuel pressure for that matter ... crank it a few times and pull out a spark plug and sniff for gas. A bit ghetto, but it sometimes works. The other way is to unhook a fuel line ... but that's quite a bit harder and doesn't tell you if the fuel's making it to the cyllinder.

Also check to see if the throttle body has iced over. Can't run without air.

Adrian~

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
If its -8 deg, and the car has been sitting there for that long, there may have been some moisture in the tank and the gas lines may have froze up . Try putt some Heet and some fresh gas in the tank.

Also are you sure that battery is fully charged?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Dan, did you have any problems getting the right size fittings for the oil cooler? The hoses are cut on mine, and I'm considering a whole new OEM one, but I like your route better...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very interested in how this turns out. I've been researching oil coolers for months. How large is that core? It looks huge! I will definitely mount mine behind the grill but I show many options that do not require relocating the horn(s). My biggest concern is new stainless lines. Hoping not to have to go the custom route. Did you have to add a pump to the line to create more head? Keep me updated please.

First benefit of an oil cooler is ........cooler oil temps. I hate heat and have been doing everything possible to minimize it under my hood.

A second benefit to this would be much more space for a LARGE intercooler as one of the restrictions is the oil cooler line. Also, the intercooler would sit better in the air dam= more airflow over the IC.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok the setup is complete, sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys. It was finished a few days ago just did not have time to take some pictures. I placed it right where the Horn was and I just need to find a new place for that. This oil cooler is the perfect size for where it goes and gets plenty of air. There are no stainless steel lines, :roll: but it does come with some with heavy-duty rubber lines that are double woven inside, the Saab intercooler lines are only single woven.

To install this was somewhat tricky. I have to remove the intercooler and then remove the A/C condenser in front the radiator. When that was finished they kit is supplied with ties to go through the A/C condenser to hold the oil cooler on. In-between the A/C and oil cooler are spacers so they are not touching.

After that then I ran the hoses to the old oil filter, but with the kit came an adapter that went before the oil filter and you set the oil filter on the adapter. On the adapter there are two nozzles that the hoses connect into. The last step is to plug your existing oil line hoses. I removed my OEM lines and plugged the hole with a nut that was the right size. After that I was good to go.

A little easier way of this install would just be to forget about the adapter they give you and remove the stock oil lines and then find a nozzle to go into where the stock oil lines connect with the Intermediate section. (Part number 9130816 )

I cant say right now if this had made a big difference in cooling as I have not gotten a chance to run my car that long because its acting up. But after I have everything straightened out I will let you know of the results. I do notice that my oil temp needle is a little lower then it used to be, after a ride to the town, so that's a sign of it working well.

Dan

Will post some pictures soon

Co-Saab the size is: Coil size: 1-1/2" x 7" x 14" Fits Perfect. With a little bit of room also and I did not have to add a pump; the one inside the engine is strong enough to pump all the oil through. The adapter that it comes with is sort of like a pump and filters the oil through one line to the other.

Mike the install went very smooth expect that is was -8 outside for me. The only problem that I ran into was plugging the holes that the OEM lines went into. Other then that no problems.

Also the main reason that the car did not start the first time was because I forgot to put my ECU back in. I had it out because I was studying it. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts