Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i found a tdo4 turbo for real cheap with blown seals out of a dsm eclipse. My question is... is the 15trim one in the aero equal to an a/r48? im not familiar with the a/r stuff but the guy said thats what it was when i asked what trim it was....

also...would the compressor bolt right on to the aero 6cm2 exhaust side? and where could i get that?

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well if the turbo he has has an a/r listed on it...its not an aero turbo.

the a/r thing is a garrett thing, the garretts have the a/r and the mitsus have the 15t/16t etc. the aero turbo should have a tag on the compressor side that says something like TD04HL-15t. if the turbo is off a dsm, it wont fit your car, they have an odd setup from what ive seen, so it would be too much work to get it to fit.

Paul

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wait...dont all like garrett and mitsu compressors connect to exhaust sides the same way? cuz i was gonna take it off the dsm manifold and stick it on the 6cm2 one from the aero...that really wouldt work?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
garrett and mitsu turbos connect to the DP the same way, and (I believe) to the manifold, but that garrett is probably made for a twin DSM set up. It's probably one of the dual light-pressure turbos.

The center sections of the garrett and the Mitsu are TOTALLY different, and there's even a difference between the TD04 and TD04HL. Swapping parts between manufacturers isn't a good idea.

If you want to do this on the cheap, find a blown Mitsu (there's a guy on Saabnet who just blew his) and you can get a rebuild kit. The brass journal bearings get coked up from harsh use, long oil changes, and improper cooldowns. You can get a rebuild kit with all the gaskets you need, plus the bearings. Those snap rings are a BITCH to remove, so prepare to be frustrated for an hour or so.... 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts