Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of mileage is everyone getting out of there aeros? Lately even when I drive very slow and staying out of boost I am still getting just under 20mpg. Best ever was 25. Anyway to get more miles out of this tank between fill ups?

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
On my SID with my 2001 9-5 Aero Manual:

Cruise set at 73mph I get about 35mpg average when I drive to NH. Right now my average is at about 28.7mpg because I don't make long trips anymore. My car is tuned and I drive it like it's tuned.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The trick is not driving slow so much as not wasting fuel braking unnecessarily. Economical driving is the art of predicting what's going to happen.

Also, if you're getting 20 MPG in city driving, that's pretty good. The 9-5 is a pretty heavy car at 3600 lbs, and that hurts the city mileage more than anything else.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
2001 9-5 Wagon - Automatic (4 Speed) with GT17 Turbo and Flex-Fuel Bio Tune - 230hp

89 Octane

Average 19-22 Normal Driving "Around town"
Average 22-28 Keeping @ 80mph "Highway"

28MPG was our best average highway long distance to IOWA (16 hours straight through) doing about 65-85mph the entire way with minimal stops mostly just for fuel.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
yes automatic. So it seems like I am in the norm. Do you HAVE to run 93 in this thing? Previous owner only ran it so I just followed suit. I barely go into boost anymore. Always have 3 kids in the car.
Is you car all stock? We run 89 in ours 80% of the time - plus you will see a slight gain in MPG with a lower octane as long as you are not heavy in the pedal. I would NOT run 87 in the car however - but 89 or better is what I would do. It's always GOOD to run a tank of 93 however every now and again to help flush some deposits out. (You can do this when there are no kids in the car or wife)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
2005 aero with a 5spd auto, best i've seen is 31mpg driving about 75 average speed, although i don't usually drive that car. No less than 91 octane, although usually 93

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was going to ask the same question, you've cleared it up for me. I use mostly 93 octane Shell (or other Top Tier) and get 19-20mpg on my daily commute of 15 miles one way. 10 of those miles are highway at 65-75 and the other five is stop n go.
And yeah I early on realized this car is heavy, just the weight of the doors and trunk lid are considerable.
It compares unfavorably in terms of mpg to my previous car which was a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring, with the 3.5L V6 weighing about 3850 lbs. It could get 22mpg on the same daily commute. But then I enjoy driving this car a bit more ;-)

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I was going to ask the same question, you've cleared it up for me. I use mostly 93 octane Shell (or other Top Tier) and get 19-20mpg on my daily commute of 15 miles one way. 10 of those miles are highway at 65-75 and the other five is stop n go.
And yeah I early on realized this car is heavy, just the weight of the doors and trunk lid are considerable.
It compares unfavorably in terms of mpg to my previous car which was a 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring, with the 3.5L V6 weighing about 3850 lbs. It could get 22mpg on the same daily commute. But then I enjoy driving this car a bit more ;-)
No that's piss poor, waht plugs are you runing ( only NGK BCPR6ES) BAd Temp sensor, O2 sensor and MAF ( AMM) can all lead to poor mileage...

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
If I reset the SID and floor it around town it will show minimum of 22 average. I have never seen it go lower than that on average, even during adaptation runs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts