Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Have a wierd problem in that my car wont start. The car will crank fine but will not catch. When I try and start again after the first attempt the car will not even crank, I hear a series of clicks which sound like they are coming from the glove compartment but nothing else.
I had the car in the garage last week and a leaking fuel pipe was diagnosed, however the new pipe was not fitted due to supplier problems. The garage managed to get the car started (not sure how) so I took it away as I needed it, the fuel leak was minor more of a safety issue I guess. The car then ran perfectly for a few days and then this morning same problem, wont fire and then wont crank. Does anyone have any ideas what this would be? the car has just been recovered to the garage and the new fuel pipe will be fitted as it has finally arrived now, however I am not convinced this will fix the problem even though it needs doing.
Sounds like to me the computer is telling the car not to start after the initial attempt.

The car is a 53 so 2003 and just done over 100K

I would appreciate anyones advice on this.

Thanks

R

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Being you are posting in the old 9-3/ng900 section - firstly, what year is your car since you call it an Aero.

If you have a 2003 (Sedan) - Current 9-3 you have a New Gen 9-3 Sport Sedan and are in the wrong section.

Based upon my suspicion this IS what you have - a 9-3SS - I would gather it too is a weak. There is a way to by pass the electronic garbage to start that car - but as a tech and not knowing you - I am not going to release that information until more is known. It's not rocket science, but there is some risk involved.

Charge your battery up and the car will likely start - once it's charged you should load test it or have this done to confirm a weak battery.

Or just buy a new battery....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Both
No problems with the battery, Green Flag came and checked all that out and tried to start before recovering it and like I said the problem is intermittent I would of thought a flat battery wouldn't crank the car at all, not suddenly find juice from somwhere to crank. When I say in the garage I mean at the place where they are trying to fix it. Also the car wont start when given a jump start using leads. The battery is definately not at fault.

Also the car is a Saab 93 Aero 2.0 Turbo 2003

Thanks
R

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Hi Both

Also the car is a Saab 93 Aero 2.0 Turbo 2003

Thanks
R
huh? So it's a 2003 Saab 9-3 "Aero" Convertible? or is it a 2003 9-3SS Aero Sedan?

Where are you from?

As for the problem at hand - sounds like a good Saab garage would be able to diagnose this. If it's a Sport Sedan - it could be the UEC (Under Hood Electrical Center) These are very fragile when it comes to voltage spikes or even just trying to reprogram them. I had replaced a few in one year because they would just "crash" and not function at all anymore. Being you have an intermitent issue - not sure if that could be it or not, but worth a diag. Does the TECH 2 Saab scanner communicate with all systems normally or are there DATA BUS issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the UK, its not a convertible, the word sedan is not used over here, the car is just a plain old simple Saab 93 Aero 2.0T no SS. Its what I would call a saloon car but that's not in its name.
As for the Tech scanner I have no clue what one of these is. The mechanic guy plugged a handheld gizmo into a socket underneath the stearing column and mentioned something about an error but he had no clue what it meant!
I was trying to avoid taking it to the Saab dealer as they will charge an arm and a leg even to glimpse at it. I was hoping this was a well known problem that could be fixed easily but obviously its not.
Thanks
R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.