Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying i have been sick on and off for the past 3 months. I think i have been completely healthy for maybe about a week or 2 in those months. Iv had fevers, sore throats, bells palsy, a few hospital visits, . Im tired most of the time, physically and mentally, i may have lyme disease, but blood work should be back this week so i will know then. This semester of school is horrible, i dont want to be there. Im contemplating taking next semester off but i dont know if its a good idea, figured id ask and see if anyone has done it before. I emailed my advisor and im going to speak with him some time this week.

I need a break and i know summer is coming but idk if thats enough of a break. I can get healthy again. I as thinking that since my sister is moving to england in june. I could go visit her later this year and just relax there, maybe even go see Rally GB in october if thats when i go

Any advise is appreciated

**Please keep this thread on topic, other wise i will have to report you to the mods** *

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Well, give me/us some background:

What are you studying?

Is paying for a school a factor?

Where are you going to school?

If you take the semester off, are you SURE you'll have a job?

I lived in England for a semester while I studied at Oxford it MAAAAAAADDDDD money to go out, buy everyday things and so forth.....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't take school off. If you do, the chances of dropping out increase.

Thought about studying abroad? Particularly England?

Take easy classes, but stay in school.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
Reduce the amount of classes you take, and get a part time job.

·
Registered
978 Posts
How many hours a week do you work? If you can swing it stop working and continue in your studies.

How are your grades currently?

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
I had the whole health go on while in school. I took a semester off and worked. I had to pull out of school half way through the semester. I appealed and got my tuition back but lost out a lot on the college experience. I say if you have to do it do it. Looking back i would have not taken the time off.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, give me/us some background:

What are you studying?

Is paying for a school a factor?

Where are you going to school?

If you take the semester off, are you SURE you'll have a job?

I lived in England for a semester while I studied at Oxford it MAAAAAAADDDDD money to go out, buy everyday things and so forth.....
Im a marketing major and paying for school is not a factor, i got to a State school. I have a part time job right now which i can make into a full time job if i wanted to, so im not worried about that, i dont know if i want to study abroad yet but we will see

Im not working that much right now maybe 3 days a week, i have talked to my manager and he is going to cut some hours. Im thinking it might be a good idea to just take one or two classes instead of taking the entire semester off

·
Registered
373 Posts
The Peace Corps is always an option if you want to be out of school completely for a semester. That way you are at least doing something constructive with your time.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I sure don't mean to be a dick but, tough it out!! once you are in the real world you will have to face the same issues and can't run and hide. I would look at your situation as a strength builder and a life lesson. Please don't take me wrong here but I see too maney young people who just run and hide when the going gets tough.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sure don't mean to be a dick but, tough it out!! once you are in the real world you will have to face the same issues and can't run and hide. I would look at your situation as a strength builder and a life lesson. Please don't take me wrong here but I see too maney young people who just run and hide when the going gets tough.
Yeah i completely understand what your saying, im not trying to hide, im more concerned about my health, school is school but i just dont feel healthy these days, i really need to talk to my advisor asap and figure out what i need to do and should do

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Try cutting back on classes and mabey try moving to a different appartment/dorm. Mabey there is a mold or something in the place you are living causing your health issues. I think it would be VERY hard to go back to school once you take time off.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Yeah i completely understand what your saying, im not trying to hide, im more concerned about my health, school is school but i just dont feel healthy these days, i really need to talk to my advisor asap and figure out what i need to do and should do
I've gone to school and later worked full-time through major health issues. Here's what I'd recommend....

Cut back on your class load and get some of those annoying, yet necessary, easy pre-reqs off. If it means you're going to school part-time, so be it. Be realistic about your work load. Piling school work and a job on during a time when you're not feeling great isn't ideal.

Whatever you do, do not completely leave school or your job. This is going to sound odd, but part of what is keeping you going through all of this is your schedule. If you take that away, you may end up spending more time being nervous/anxious/overwhelmed by how bad you are feeling. Dan Barry, a writer for the New York Times, had a pretty good way of dealing with getting a rare cancer. Even though he had to be in Sloan-Kettering, he never allowed himself to be a full-time "patient." He wore street clothes and had business meetings in his hospital room as a way to keep his mind off the illness. It's hard to do, especially if you have lower energy levels, but at least it will give you eight hours a day or so when you aren't focused on feeling ill.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Definately do not stop school. It will be that much harder to get back into it, and that will not only be harder on you and your health but will also push back your education.

I know many people who basically been permanently sick my whole of freshman year, and personally I contribute it to the fact that people dont have good sleep habits and eat terribly. But as long as you get exercise, eat well and rest up a bit (which I know can be hard at college ;) ) but I havent been sick at all because of it.

Good luck on your plans!

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
How strong is your will power? Taking a semester, off will it REALLY be a semester?

I know about having undiagnosed medical issues. I have had lyme disease in my family(my mom), epstein barr(sister), and fibromialgia(brother, possibly father now too). It sucks.

I say you are so close to making it to the summer. Muster up your energy and try and finish strong and then recoup over the summer.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Check for mold. Seriously. My last apartment had flood damage in the basement that caused mold spores to permeate throughout the entire building. Made my life hell for a solid year.... absolute fucking hell. Then I moved. Seems to have made all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Agreed, I took time off school after a massive shitstorm in my life (including medical problems) and its not easy to get motivated to go back, especially if you start working full time. The silver lining of my situation is I had the time to explore my options and I've changed my path to better suit myself and what I want to do.

Good luck Imran!

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input guys and gals, i sent my advisor an email, lets see what he says tomorrow, honestly if i did take a semester off i would probably go to england, not anything school related but more of a nice month or so long vacation, im not too worried about getting back into the swing of things if i do take a semester off, If i graduate a semester late so be it, i would much rather get everything sorted out now then when im really into my major classes

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Take a couple of weeks and spend some time in a nice warm place -- a Florida beach or something.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts