Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here - thinking about going Saab for the first time and have a few questions.
I have been driving mostly older Audi's for the last 15 years or so, and am wondering how the Saab compares. If I managed to do most of my own work on the Audi's and keep them on the road, could I reasonably expect a similar result with the Saab?
Also, I recently drove a 2006 9-3 Wagon, 2.0T, automatic. I fell in love with it, the catch is that it has a salvage title, which here in SC means it sustained damage equaling 75% of value. All I've been able to discover is that the wreck occurred fairly recently, and I think it was the front end.
Is this something I'm stupid to even consider, or is there a price point or relevant bit of information that would make this a reasonable risk?
I apologize if this is posted at the wrong place, or if I'm treading over old ground! Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You'll get a better response over at saabcentral, for some reason, that's where the 9-3ss crowd hangs out. And by SC, do you mean South Carolina? Or SoCal?..... If you can turn wrenches on an Audi, there's no reason you'll have issues on a Saab.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Was it a total in the state of South Carolina, or in other states? I've noticed here in WI cars can be totaled at the insurance companies descression... Or if parts were "hard to get". I'd check out when that car was totaled out because if it was over a couple months ago the ins company may have deemed it that they couldn't get the parts.

One thing I'd do is definitely take it to a reputable mechanic and have them look over the work that was done. If it's at a dealership they probably did the work and should be able to give you a list of what was done. If they won't do that, I'd pass on the car all together since they probably hacked it together.

The 9-3 SS or '03+ 9-3s are easy to work on and seem to be reliable. My wife's old '04 9-3 2.0T Convertible had just under 200k on the clock when we traded it in, and it had been extremely reliable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to run a carfax, just too cheap to spend $30 when all I may find out is what I already know - salvage title. I do know that the car was listed for sell with a clean title at a local car place in April of 2011 for around 14k with mileage of 61k. I found online that it was totaled on 10/24 of 2011. Mileage now is 78,000 and the guy says he's been driving it about 6 months. Good idea to check with who did the work - I'll see if I can find out who it was and if they are willing to talk about it. Probably a waste of time since he's asking way too much imo (9K) and even if I felt good about the work I wouldn't offer near that. Just kind of fell in love with the thing though, which makes it hard to be logical about it! Have been looking for others, just not a lot of saabs around here, and the wife is tired of driving stuff from the 90's. Nice to know they are easy to work on though - and that the reliability is ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From another point of view can I just offer my thoughts.

I used to own the Saab Aero on my Avatar, totally loved the car, divorce forced sale unfortunately. I then purchased an Audi s3, which was much quicker, but I didn't enjoy the car half as much. It didn't feel as solid, lacked the toys of the Saab, certainly lacked the comfort, and I also feel the looks too.

I am now looking at purchasing another car, and I'm going back to Saab over Audi

Good luck with your new wheels

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opinion. I have decided to go with a saab this time if I can find one in my price range and not so far away. I would prefer a wagon, so that narrows down an already small field.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
One thing to consider: Over the past couple of years, many Saab 9-3 SS models involved in silly minor fender-benders (creased fender, dented trunk, etc.) were declared total losses due to unavailability of parts. It was probably bought at auction with the salvage title, then repaired cheaply and put back on the market.

Might be a good deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I hadn't considered that possibility. I did pull the autocheck report and it said something that indicated it was a minor accident, but I wasn't so sure how much stock to put in that. With what you said that makes sense. I'm not so frightened of salvage titles as we have had a Ford with one for about 6 years, got a great deal on it, and have had no problems. He has dropped the price to $8k, but that is right around KBB for the car with a clean title. (In addition, if you get close you can see a little bit of what looks like hail damage on the hood.) I may let him sit on it another week and if I haven't found something else I may send him an offer somewhere between $5 and $6K - but doubt he'll go that low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts