Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the advice from a few of the members here and posting a new thread so that I can get some insight and advice on what all components are required to swap a 2.0 5 spd. turbo from a '98 into a '95 2.0 auto.

I've had the '95 2.0 auto for a while now and have always wanted a 5 speed which, by some twist of fate I suppose, feel into my lap out of the blue in the form of a '98 900SE 2.0 turbo and so, the desire has now hit a fever pitch.

Any advice, insight, tips or WHATEVER about what components, modules, wiring harnesses, linkages, etc., etc., etc. that need to be swapped from the one to the other to achieve this dream would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've done a similar swap to this before. It really won't be too bad. Pull the glove box out and snake the harness from the ecu thru the firewall, leaving it attached to the engine. Swap ecu's, shift linkage, add clutch pedal to the 95 (may need to replace whole pedal pack). On the 95 you'll probably need to make a new hole in the firewall to mount the clutch master cuz the one there is for a cable set up. Remove auto trans controller from the 95. Don't remember the colors, but at the plug for the PNP switch under the hood you'll need to splice the 2 wires for the starter, and add a few feet of wire and a connector for the reverse light switch. Maybe "Wayfarer" will chime in here, cuz he did most of the interior work in the car we swapped over and may have more info. on the pedals. Both cars we did were turbos, you may have to chase some extra wiring out of your 98 to get wiring for the BPC, "Dan the kid" can probably steer you in the right direction on the BPC harness

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response and the advice, though I'm wondering if you could be a bit more specific about some of the items you mentioned like defining "PNP switch", noting exactly which "two wires" should be spliced, etc., etc.

In otherwords, I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate on basically EVERYTHING you've mentioned with the one possible exception being the ECU harness as I've already done that one, perhaps if you could point out whatever other modules that may need to be swapped over?

Again, any and all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
PNP park/neutral position switch. The big switch on the auto trans that tells the controller the gear position. Follow the harness from the switch to the 2 connectors up by the battery. Circuit for the starter runs thru the switch so it only engages in park/neutral, also turns on reverse lights. The car we did was a 98, different plug and wiring so you'll have to probe the wires for power or find a wiring diagram to isolate the wires needed. You only need to worry about 4 wires in there, took me about 10 min with a helper to turn the key to isolate the wires. Controller for the auto trans is up behind the glove box, just unplug it or you'll get an immediate CEL because it's looking for a 1-2 shift solenoid that's no longer there

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I will see if I can lend a hand with this.

Snake the the new harness in through the firewall, which it seems you have already done.

Swap the pedal bracket over from the 98 to the 95. You obviously need the clutch pedal off the 98 but you also need the brake pedal as it is small on a manual than an auto. You will need to do some drilling into the firewall in order to run the master cyl. through since 1998 900's are hydraulic clutch. There is a guide on genuinesaab for this actually, and saab.platonoff.com

You must swap out the wires and pin that series mentioned, I cannot be anymore help on this but I know that genuine and platonoff cover this in their hydro clutch conversion write-ups.

Obviously swap trannies... shifter housing, shift stalk, knob, boot, exct.

I believe there is a thread on here where someone did it to their 9K. Not the same but would give you a good idea.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on keeping the trans attached throughout the removal, swap, and installation process with the aid of a leveler and hoist.

It's the associated wiring harnesses and components particular to the individual engines and, of course, the clutch pedal modification and installation, that seem to pose the biggest issues, though I intend to swap out the entire pedal assembly from the one car to the other if possible.

Thanks for the input so far and please keep it coming.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yup, Seriks1 is the man with the info on your project. It was my car(s).

I also can't recommend Dmitry Platonoff's site enough for this project. He did excellent documentation in regards to photos and descriptions. Well, that and having someone like Seriks1 who knows the ins and outs of the saab engine.

The bracket for the clutch pedal mount was in already in the '98. but I can't remember if there was a second bracket that was between the pedal and the mount to the body. But you will have the parts regardless.

Getting the pins out that hold the pedals in place was a bitch. I recommend just using a pliers and yanking on them to get them out and replacing them with either new ones or if you can salvage the old ones. It is a funky design that you can neither see nor get at with both hands. Think of a regular cotter pin with the small loop at one end. The pin for the pedals has a much larger loop and you have to pry up the loop and bend it 180 degrees to straighten it out to get the pin(s) out of the hole
Key an eye on how those springs go back into place. It should be a lot easier to install the clutch pedal since yours will be hydro. It was a pisser trying to get all the pins and springs back in when everything was in place.

There is a pattern for the hole to cut for the hydro clutch. It is on the platonoff site (awesome reference site for this project) or I might have it if you email me directly.

putting in the shifter was pretty easy since it is just a bolt in.

You'll want the speedo with the turbo dial. That is an easy swap.

I haven't gotten around to putting the cruise control switches in yet. Too damn cold to be crawling around under there.

You really shouldn't have a problem if you have both cars side by side. If you need help on the interior just email me directly. You also should be able to part out the remains and pay for the swap. I can give you pointers there too.

The only problem I ran into was putting synthetic tranny fluid into the '95 case and it slipped like crazy-just had to switch back to motor oil. But you have the opposite condition. Just keep track of the differences in the the two.

You'll do fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts