Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom currently has a '99 9-3 5-speed and loves it. However, life in VT has had her thinking of upgrading to a vehicle with AWD.

Requirements:

-has to be fun to drive
-has to have AWD (4 snow tires on a FWD car just barely cut it where they live)
-has to be fun to drive....

She has become a fan of the BMW X3 lately, and was asking me about them. I don't really know much about them other than they are made by Krauts.

I told her about the newer 9-3 XWD, but don't know shit about those either. Some searching this morning showed that used examples can be found from $25k-$30k.

Some opinions from you all would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Car or SUV? (X3 reference...)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
AWD kind of limits your choices.

Aside form the 9-3X; Legacy GT, base Imprezza WRX, A4, AllRoad, 3 series BMW with xdrive.

An X3 is an SUV and any SUV will not be as fun to drive as an AWD sedan or wagon.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Also, as Freestyle asked, what's the price range? How big/small a vehicle?

Loved my Audi S4 avant the short time we had it, despite the service issues. There's always smaller: A3 quattro.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subarus are out (as are Toyotas). She drove some and didn't like the interior quality.

Also, she's a mature older lady who won't let me T5Suite her car, haha. I doubt she'd be into modding her next purchase.

Not sure about the price range... I'll take a stab and say +/- $25k.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't want a wagon. (I suggested getting one, but she's against it.)

The SUV idea is for the amount of snow that they get. They have a super long, steep driveway that is shared with 3 other homes out in bumfuck VT. Since it's not state/town maintained there are times when the snow is pretty deep before it gets plowed by the contractor they all share.

I've suggested getting cars if she wants something fun to drive... ala Audi, BMW, Saab... even the Acuras with AWD.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
The MDX and RDX are really nice. I've been in a RDX, and my friends mom has an 08 MDX. They are quite sweet. Although the MDXs maybe out of the price range.

Good ground clearances too.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Doesn't want a wagon. (I suggested getting one, but she's against it.)

The SUV idea is for the amount of snow that they get. They have a super long, steep driveway that is shared with 3 other homes out in bumfuck VT. Since it's not state/town maintained there are times when the snow is pretty deep before it gets plowed by the contractor they all share.

I've suggested getting cars if she wants something fun to drive... ala Audi, BMW, Saab... even the Acuras with AWD.
I would choose an X5 over an X3, again-hard riding. If she wants an appliance like model for reliability, there is always the Lexus RX350-same thing with the Acura MDX.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good ideas so far, thanks.

I told her to just get a new Camaro.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No... see, that's what I want.

·