Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before I go taking this into the shop I just want to run this by you guys and see what you think. The AC on my new Saab does not work so today I fiddled with it. Symptom first: 1. Compressor does NOT turn on but fan does. Now what I have done: 1. Recalibrated the ACC unit since the batt was flat when I got it, no change in AC operation. 2. Checked fuses and relay, all work/in good order. 3. Powered compressor directly, compressor rotates with no abnormal sounds but still no cooling. This all leads me to believe there is very little charge left in the system but enough to lube the compressor for it to run for it made no bad noises. FWIW the car has sat for almost a year now give or take a month so yes the gas is bad (still runs good though) would that be long enough to kill the AC? I dont think we have the DIY recharge kits here in Austria, I miss that from back home along with other things :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
If they still use the same type of sealer washer, on the axle behind the clutch, as they did in the late 80:s, a year is enough to make corrosion on the steel washer, and that will create a leak. The seal works like this: a steel washer is rotating against a fiber washer, (or the opposite around?) the rotation will create an absolute gas tight smooth surface. If it sits and corrosion occur on the steel, it is not gas tight anymore. Thats why they, 20 years ago, if you had an ACC, programmed the ACC to start the A/C now and then in the winter, without you knowing it. (Of course sometimes to defog the windows too).To keep these surfaces smooth and tight. (at least thats why VOLVO did it). To me it sounds like you are right, and you are low on charge.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You need to put gauges on the system to see if there how much refrigerant is in the system. Otherwise it's a guessing game. That said, it sounds like you're low. DO NOT power the compressor directly for more than a second or two. If it's really low or out, you can draw in air on the suction side of the system and cause all kinds of trouble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts