Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ABS warning light and the big" ! "within the triangle stay on !!
Scary !!
I have yet to really check things out - we are having a cold spell again -winter is here !
The car stops OK, I think.
What I did to bring this on, I THINK, IMO, was to use the hand brake to stop the car, several times in testing the troublesome emergency brake system.. Well, the hand brake is all "fixed" now - no easy task - definitely a lift job..

Disconnecting the battery cable , even for 8 hours, in an attempt to reset the control module did nothing.. And I have doubts that the ABS functions properly..

This is on a '96 900S, 141K miles, good condition..(brake pads, shoes, general shape).

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
what makes those lights go off is when the abs speed sensors get different readings. for example when u pulled the ebrake your rear tires were at 0 mph but your fronts were faster. u screwed it up... if the car stops fine try driving around a little and it should go away if there are no problems.... when i dynoed my car both those lights came on but as soon as i got off the dyno and onto the street the lights were gone

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
you may have either a bad ring gear which the sensor picks up the signal from - or a bad sensor for the ABS - I'd pull each wheel and inspect for missing teeth on the gear the sensor reads off off - and look for bad wires on a sensor - perhaps one is not gapped right. Seek service manual for propper gapping on the sensor to the ring gear. Worst case scenario - ABS accumulator/pump could be faulty. Be advised that whils this ABS light is alluminated - the ABS is not activated - you are on BASE brakes only and most likely your traction control (ESP or TCS) is disabled as well. I highly doubt it's going to be anthing more then a wheel speed sensor or indicator (ring gear). Let us know! 8)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
did you check the brake fluid level?

mine came on because of this....(in my ng900)
yeah - that is the number 1 cause usually - even I forgot to mention that.... ensure that you use ONLY the reccomended DOT fluid for your car - most likelt DOT 3 - but DOT 4 is compadible.... DOT3 is more then sufficient for daily drivers and light track cars.... DOT 4 is better if you auto cross or have many high speed slow downs (higher boiling point) - now you all learned something between my 2 posts on ABS in this thread :lol: :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rico and Burnside, I wish to thank you guys for some very good advice.
I will look into these things today.
The fluid level is OK, and I will check out the sensor for that.
As I thought, the application of the hand brake confused the ABS, but after disconnecting the battery, the light should have been extinguished - and it was not..

·
Registered
352 Posts
disconnect your ecu for 5 minutes

then plug it back in, that'll clear whatever codes you have, if the error returns....then you should really look into it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen, the mystery is solved.
My mind wanders at the least inopportune times - I must have disconnected the R/S rear unit for some foolish reason and then "I forgot".
When I reinstalled the hand brake cables, the wheels were not removed and I was not able to see very much..

Anyway, all is well that ends well..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts