Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 95 900S sat for a few months and now the ABS light comes on after startup but only once the car is rolling. i'm guessing it's a sensor?? i cleaned the front two sensors and the ring gears but didn't help. Actually had to replace one of them since i damaged it removing it for cleaning. The rear ones look inaccessible so i left them for now. are they accessible with rotor removed ?? anything else i can check?? the brakes and speedo work fine and car is not running in limp mode.
thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
motronic doesn't have limp mode I thought, I may be wrong tho.

I am not sure about the rear ones, or how to get to them. Try sprinting down the road and romping on the brakes. If the ABS doesn't work, then we got an issue. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it's the 2L turbo I believe it is a trionic 5 but at any rate looks as though the ABS is disabled now with the light lit on the dashboard. The car is fine to drive and the brakes work fine, just no ABS. What bugs me is the light on the dash along with the warning chime when it first lights up.
After doing some more searching online i figure I'll take an ohms reading on each of the wheel sensors.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Since it's the 2L turbo I believe it is a trionic 5 but at any rate looks as though the ABS is disabled now with the light lit on the dashboard. The car is fine to drive and the brakes work fine, just no ABS. What bugs me is the light on the dash along with the warning chime when it first lights up.
After doing some more searching online i figure I'll take an ohms reading on each of the wheel sensors.
Didn't know 95 900 S's could have the 2.0L turbo, so yes you have trionic.

I just looked at my NG's, and the like grkguy said, the wheel speed sensors are the whole assembly.

Quote from my Hayne's manual

"If the ECU detects a fault, it responds by shutting down the ABS and illuminating the dashboard-mounted ABS warning light. Under these circumstances, conventional non-ABS barking is maintained. Note also the warning light will be illuminated if the power supply to the ABS ECU is disconnected (eg if the supply fuse blows)"

Might wanna check that.

It then says to go through basic checks first.
1. brake fluid level
2. Fuses and relays
3. Electrical connections and Earthing points
4. check front wheel sensors, rear wheels sensors

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright, many thanks! will try those steps. i did already check the brake fluid level and fairly sure that's not it, since it looks good and with the fluid level sensor unplugged it would set off a different light on the dash.
re the trionic vs motronic my 900S 2.0 T is a 2 dr canadian model... maybe they're different spec up north.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you have cheap access to a Tech 2, possibly an Indy, it can pinpoint the problem.

The ABS ECU could be at fault which is difficult to diagnose, trust me. Though you can send it to BBA-reman and they will check it for $, —better to get a Tech 2.

My issue turned out to be the sending ring was cracked due to the expansion of the axle from rust. Created a gap that I only found by happenstance. After replacing parts one by one. And that messed up the ABS ECU so I had to replace that too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts