Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a new one for the aging 99 9-5.

Driving along and i see the warning traingle light come on, the ABS light, and a third one (not sure if it was "brake" or "park brake" since it happened too quickly) and I get bing bong!!! Then as fast as they came on they all go off.

Ok, odd.

20 minutes later it does it again. Of course I forgot to notice that the third light was.

I scanned with my obdII reader and there are no codes.

???? any ideas?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The ABS modules do go bad. So that could be a possibility.

It could also be one of the wheel speed sensors or the wiring to one of them acting up. Or they could just be dirty.

A tech 2 would be needed to view any Codes or Data from the ABS system.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hah. Yea I guess that would be the simplest thing to check.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds like the ABS computer, mine did the same exact thing, I had it rebuilt and all set plus lifetime warranty.

Lemme know if you choose to go that route, I'll give you the link to the guys who did mine, fast and efficient.

I dont know aobut the 9-5 but it was fairly simple to remove and put back on my 9-3, just a pain in the ass to reach the bolts.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the fluid first, it is pretty full ;)

So far today it has been fine.

I am sick of these stupid things that you need a techII to figure out lately. :lol:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Had this happen on a customers car this week - Caliper siezed up - needs calipers and front brakes now.... check for over heated brake parts. You could have a dragging caliper starting.

otherwise - the ABS modules do go bad - often with codes however. They are rebuildable - but I would send it to BBA for such.

Location of ABS Computer is ON the hydraulic box under the hood with all the brake lines going to it. There are about 6 little torx which hold it on and a connector on the bottom. The info of the ECU is on the bottom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

I had the same thing happen on my 2004 95, and its nothing major really, once you plug the tech 2 it will tell you that a sensor on one or more of the tires has gone out or not getting signal from that sensor, so the car will turn off the ABS and on my car the TC.

plug it on a tech 2 to figure out which tire sensor is causing the problem and change it. you should be fine after that.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I am leaning towards sensor. started the car and the lights (warning, BRAKE, ABS) came on and the speedo didn't work... all of a sudden 10 minutes later the speedo starts working and the lights go out. To me, that says sensor.

Just need to get a TechII. Oh wait, those cost more than this car. :lol:

Yeah.

Have to bring it someplace I guess.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I know on the ng900/9-3's the Speedo reads off of the rear wheels. The left one I think.

Before you spend money on bringing it somewhere, you can double check the wiring to the rear sensors, and also make sure the tone rings are clean and clear of debris.

Should only take 20 minute to check.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WIS sais something about a front one sends it to Trionic and the rear one sends to the speedo, or vice versa. I should probably check them all out.

Meanwhile, it is fun to drive and guess how fast I am going by the gear and rpm :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
saab

99 saab 9-5 ABS, TCS, Brake light on, and Speedometer is not working.
I have replaced the wheel hub sensor left rear, replaced the transmission speed sensor, and tried three different ABS rebuilds, still nothing. All the lights are still on dash.

Hooked it up to a Tech II and its says no signal to the wheel sensor.

Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
1 Posts
99 saab 9-5 ABS, TCS, Brake light on, and Speedometer is not working.
I have replaced the wheel hub sensor left rear, replaced the transmission speed sensor, and tried three different ABS rebuilds, still nothing. All the lights are still on dash.

Hooked it up to a Tech II and its says no signal to the wheel sensor.

Anyone have any idea?
My 2000 Saab 95 Aero had this problem; Tech II did not provide any useful codes to help solve the problem (had it read 3 different times and none of the codes helped) BBA reman did a rebuild on my ABS unit and all was welll. Who did the rebuilds?
If i remember correctly the two sensors that are important for this are front NS and rear OS, so perhaps a check of the connectors. Also i think you can check the sensor wires inside the car with a multimeter and see if you can measure the continuity of the wheel sensors (incidentally when i checked mine, all the sensors were fine -- no breaks).
I think the ones for the rear wheels are under the back seat but it is about 8 years ago when i did all this. If you have a workshop manual that may help you find the wire paths in the wiring harness

hope that helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts