Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during the summer I was heading into the Adirondack mountains with my girlfriend on a camping trip, and we're just driving along, doing our own thing, when we see an abandoned motel on the side of the road. Nothing out of the ordinary, probably the third or fourth one we had seen that day. However, I'm a photographer, and I enjoy photographing abandoned buildings (the bigger the better). And I really had to pee. Not sure if there was a gas station or fast food place in a mile or 50 miles, I asked if she wanted to stop and check it out. She said it was up to me. Less than a half a mile down the road, and all while this conversation was happening I came across another abandoned motel, great, I'll just pee here. So I do my thing, then decided to wander around a little, nothing to exciting, so I decided we should go check out the other one real quick. While we're there we notice a large billboard and a parking lot way down behind the motel. Kinda odd see as how we're miles from anything of interest. As we ventured down away from the main road, we noticed an abandoned house, then we saw a dirt road leading into the woods. Curiosity got the best of me as I started venturing down the bumpy over grown dirt rd. We saw two buildings at first, one looked like a small barn/big shed, the other looked like horse stables. Not sure what this was, we rolled along slowly, ready to throw it in reverse at the first sign of a person living there. Well, I'm glad we ventured on, for what we discovered wasn't anything I could've predicted.
We discovered Frontier Town!
A theme park built in the 1950's to show people what life was like in the wild west. They had shoot outs, train robberies, stage coaches, saw mills, rodeos, a western outfitters, a last chance saloon, and so much more!
This place was amazing, it had everything, and after wandering around for two or three hours we decided it was time to move on with our plans for the day.
Pictures from our first adventure can be seen here: First time at Frontier Town
After our weekend camping trip was over and I was going through my pictures, I did more research, much more, the place was full of history, and I would give anything to have seen the place in it's hay day. And after seeing pictures and videos of it in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, I was truly amazed at what nature can do when left unattended. Buildings long since forgotten, bleachers for the rodeo ring rotting away, smashed glass from vandals, train tracks covered in grass 3 feet high, trees so massive where there were no trees before, roofs collapsed, man-made ponds dried up, and festive paint pealing off things that were once cherished.
This place was just too amazing to wait for another winter to do it's damage before going back again. My buddy who also enjoys photographing abandoned buildings agreed. So we made a plan to go up there and spend the day there. Just with awkward work schedules, and life really, that second trip didn't happen til 4 months after my original visit. Not much had changed since then, a few new broken windows, a tree branch the size of a tree had fallen on the roof of a snack shack, and some new buildings I didn't have time to explore last time got a good once over.
Pictures from my second visit here: Second time at Frontier Town
It really saddens me to see a place so amazing as this to just be forgotten. It's contents mostly auctioned off, it just sits, forgotten, waiting for a developer to snatch up all 80+ acres to turn it into a development or a shopping mall where generations will pass by, not knowing what once was, Frontier Town.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Sweet - there are a few much more modern abandoned theme parks in PA... it's amazing what get's left behind sometimes. There a really really big Mansion with MASSIVE Water slides in front of it too - not sure what the deal is on that property (it's been vacant for years it seems) I always want to go take pictures/walk around there.

I remember the old abandoned/haunted air-port near me which is now houses and a retirement home in Horsham, PA. Before that - looked like an old western town and a run-way. There was literally tumble weeds and all before they tore it down and built it up.

There was also the last functioning Drive-In movie theater in this area on Route 611 which is now a shopping center/strip mall. I remember when it was open too - just my parents never took me.

Old Americana is neat!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Really cool pictures, thanks for sharing. Almost eerie to see how some of the stuff was just left there.

I would always drive by Angela Park on the way to my grandparents'. Never checked it out really, but I don't think anything is left there to date besides an overgrown parking lot. Each time we'd pass there'd be fewer and fewer 'ruins'.

Apparently this is what it looked like back in the day: Angela Park - Hazleton, PA

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Brings a tear to my eye. We used to go there when I was a kid in the 60's. We also used to go to StoryTown USA (now the Great Escape), Magic Forrest and North Pole NY. Very fond memories of them all.

I seem to remember seeing a diving horse at Frontier Town. I think I may still have a tin deputy sheriff's star from there kicking around in a drawer someplace too.

All the parks used to put cardboard "I visited whatever park" signs on the bumper of your car with wire while you were in there. When you came out to your car, the sign would be on there. Of course all the cars back then had big chrome bumpers that you could wire them to. Pre bumper sticker days.

Edit: looky what I found on ebay.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Cool story and pics. Where is it and how'd you get there? I definitely want to try and find the place next spring/summer when I go back to the ADK.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
It's exit 29 and the park is right next to the Northway, you can't miss it. There's pretty much nothing else up there. Up until a couple years ago, the sign was still up. They had an auction after the place closed up for good like 5 years ago. It was a pretty big deal up there IIRC. My folks retired up there.

Maybe we should have a SAAB gathering. :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool story and pics. Where is it and how'd you get there? I definitely want to try and find the place next spring/summer when I go back to the ADK.
Let me know when you go up in the spring, my friends and I would be down for another trip up there. It's wicked easy to get to, if you attack it from the main entrance there's a giant "A" frame building, the largest in the state, 60' tall, can't miss that, but we went in through the back entrance, which was kinda found by chance.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Every day my mom sends my extended family a Photo of The Day. Lots of the photos I've never seen before. Today's photo is of my dad and one of his old girlfriends with his red Chevy convertible on a day trip to Frontier Town around 1955. Seeing the Frontier Town bumper card reminded me of this thread, so I thought I'd post it here. This is the FT parking lot. My dad was always a sharp dresser back in the day, and yes, he's wearing a suit to a theme park. My dad had been in the states for about 4 years when this was shot. The girl is a German girl that had also moved to the States. Having both recently come from overseas, I wonder what they thought of the hokey cowboy shows and kitch.

Side note: the old Frontier Town sign was moved to a little group of shops on Rt 9 just south of exit 21 on the Northway (87).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just found this thread - way cool! I love abandoned buildings. I grew up in a gold rush mining town in Northern California that had lots of abandoned mine buildings. Loved exploring them and just being in their presence - that eeriness. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts