Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INFO: VT Saaber work weekend is on for this weekend Nov.8th (& 9th?) at VI009DZ's garage in Hinesburg! Come one come all and get some good pre-winter wrenching done, meet a few of your fellow SaabLinkers, and stand around drink beer and tell lies.

So post up and let us know if you plan to attend. Try to include what you're bringing, what you need, what you want to work on.

BYOB your favorite beverage to sip on while wrencing... it wouldn't hurt to bring enough to share... let's try to leave VI009DZ a nice fridge full of beer as a thank you for offering the space and time.

i'll bring some burgers or something... maybe some venison burgers? anyone else who wants to contribute to food, great!

I've been thinking about a VT Saaber wrenching party the last couple days and decided to post up and see if there's any interest.
so here's what i envision: some of us local (Vermont... see title:mrgreen:) Saablink people get together and help each other get some of those projects (we all have them) done... before it gets too cold to work in the driveway.

NOTE: this isn't a help me fix my POS thread in disguise, it is more of an idea of a mutually beneficial day everyone contributes something. Some people have those harder to find tools, some people have done a tough job numerous times and can make it easier for others, some people have space for this type of thing, some people don't know how to change a light bulb but make a mean venison chile.... :twisted:
There seems to be quite a few of us in VT and it'd be cool to get together and dork it up, drink some magic hat/switchback/long trail, and get some work done on our cars at the same time.

So, your thoughts, opinions, suggestions? TOGTFO? Bacon?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i'm Waterbury... but unfortunately i can not host, i rent. in thinking about it, i'd like it to be nothing south of mid-state (woodstock/ rutvegas ).

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
well i'm Waterbury... but unfortunately i can not host, i rent. in thinking about it, i'd like it to be nothing south of mid-state (woodstock/ rutvegas ).
I don't think it would be down south, being that most of us are either in/around Burlington or further north. :)

Also, bacon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i've got a usable set of tools. not really any specialty tools. not clean and not crazy expensive shit like snap-on or mac. i've replaced my head gasket, front main seal, o2 sensors, downpipe, rear brakes... etc. with them so they're working ok for me...:p

i've got a bunch of electrical stuff. Mostly all geared towards wiring and installs. i am not really any good for chasing gremlins i don't think, but i can wire guages, relays, stereos, lights etc.

...i like beer?

edit: i forgot to include i have large + small torque wrenches

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'm in Hinesburg. I have a large heated garage with a lift and enough tooling to be dangerous, but my free time is fairly taxed with a youngster at home.

If anyone wants to help with my projects, I need the lawn mowed, some drywall done and a plow installed on my Suburban. :D

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm down anytime. I have a good collection of tools and an OBDII scanner/datalogger. I rent and although my landlord is very lax about letting me use his heated garage, I don't think he'd be excited about a bunch of noisy, cursing, drinking Saaber's interrupting his peace with air tools. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Hinesburg. I have a large heated garage with a lift and enough tooling to be dangerous, but my free time is fairly taxed with a youngster at home.

If anyone wants to help with my projects, I need the lawn mowed, some drywall done and a plow installed on my Suburban. :D
this could totally work, you provide the space we provide the help... with ten guys i'm sure we could more than make it worth your while to share the space for a day.... thoughts?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
If you need a place to do a little wrenching, my friend.....I'd be glad to help out as long as I have a spot available, and as long as the place isn't left looking like a tornado went through (anymore than it already does!) At the moment, I'm in "liquidate all the useless crap you accumulated during the summer" mode, and I've got room for 2, maybe 3 cars. As the next week or so progresses and I finish parting my '94 and installing the plow, things will be a little less congested.

I'd just hate to read about one of our locals being crushed after their shoddy jackstands crapped out in their driveway. Seen it happen before in a forum, and its no good situation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
let's talk dates

so... it seems like there is some local interest, we could possibly have a place to work (Thanks to VI009DZ) that sounds pretty well outfitted, now we need to talk about a date, iron out the details, & plan it....

The weekend of Nov.8th & 9th would work well for me... something the weekend or two before that could possibly work also, anything closer to turkey day is out for me.

alright let's hear it! what dates work for people who would attend?

PS: when we were talking about tools i forgot that i have a power bleeder (motive)... makes brakes + clutch work oh so much easier! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Waterbury? Really!?
Cool. I'm from Waterbury. But living in Stowe currently.
We'll have to meet up and chat some time.

I'm interested in this get-together. But alas, fingers crossed, my car will be mobile by then! (stupid turbo wastegate thingy!)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'm going to offer up my garage for the workday(s) to anyone interested. Does the weekend of Nov.8&9 work? I have some crud in the way at the moment, but will definitely have it squared away by then.

I have room for 3 cars easily, with one on the lift. I have a compressor (pls bring air tools if you like, all I have is a 3/8" air ratchet which I rarely use; I'm a hand-tools guy), MIG welder, torches, vise, engine crane, sockets, extensions, screwdrivers, ratchets, pliers, prybars, soldering irons, multimeters, OBD2 scanner, a few jackstands, a beer fridge, radio and a couple grills if anyone wants burgers, dogs, steaks, etc.

Stuff I'm kinda limited on....I have 1 floor jack, 3-4 jackstands, a shriking stash of shop rags, 1 quasi-crappy droplight, my Torx selection is disappearing (?), and I have only a small selection of catch pans for oil / coolant / ATF.

Anyone is welcome to come work, I have ample tooling, but you are encouraged to bring additional stuff if you have it, or know what you'll need and want to be 100% sure you'll have the right stuff. You're also welcome to just show up and say hi, have a cold one, or lend a hand.

-adam

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I have a clutch and tranny that need to get put in, 8valve and I were going to do it the weekend after SCD, but i think we could hold off until this weekend.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have a clutch and tranny that need to get put in, 8valve and I were going to do it the weekend after SCD, but i think we could hold off until this weekend.
Hope you're planning on doing the wrenching. I know you can plan on that 8valve fella to drink beer and watch. Probably not much more. :cool:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hope you're planning on doing the wrenching. I know you can plan on that 8valve fella to drink beer and watch. Probably not much more. :cool:
Heh heh, you know me too damn well!

I'm pretty sure that weekend is open for me at the moment. I'm willing to lend tools and worthless opinions!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
looks like the 8th & 9th could work out well!

tranny swap! jeebus, i'm game for helping, but it's one i haven't done.... YET.

Things on my Fall To-Do list are:

1.Timing Chain Roll-In, Drop the pan, Remove Balance Chain, clean sump&screen
2.Suspension... it's getting pretty worn, I'm thinking Koni kit.... but VT rds make me muy nervoso.
3.TD04 install (if he ever gets if off the car and calls me)
4.Saabsport Install... boring
5.SID Repair
6. VW Bora Headlights

it's an ambitious list i know, but i'm just going to whack away at it as time permits and see how far i get. i WON'T be trying to get all this shit done on the "work weekend"... i was thinking maybe just #1. i like to stand around and bullshit as much as the next guy. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so who's in?

sooo...... who's in, who's out? what's the story morning glory?

i think we should try to get an idea of who will be attending/ what work they want to get done/ etc....

me: in, oil pan drop, clean sump & cut the balance chain... unless i get it done before then but with my work schedule and the onset of hunting season it doesn't look like it.

so post up!:grin:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts