Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this morning as DeLorean was probably still in bed - a storm went over our area, and there were high winds and lots and lots of rain. According to DeLorean's mother - Jeff (that's DeLorean) had moved her car from the end of the driveway to the street - and proceeded to park his car where her's was at the driveways end. Well - at somepoint during the storm, a branch from what i gathered was his tree snapped and fell to the poor sleeping Saab's top. Currently - he is at school, and it sounds like his Roof, windshield, and fender (at the least) are all now crushed. Now - at this sight when he wen out to leave for school, I'm sure he was both shocked and pissed. He had the branch removed and then drove off to school. Shall we all hold a moment of silence for the 88" SPG and hope she is fixable - and that DeLorean WILL fix her. When he get's home I'm sure he will clean up the information/story and post pics and the damage report. In the mean time I have nothing else to say except for that sucks - and Jeff- next time get car coverage on your insurance.... :roll:

You shoulda never broken that mirror all those years ago....

·
7,595 Posts
yes, I took pics. It's fixable but no doubt will cost more than getting a "new" one. The tree branch crushed the roof right where the windsheild mates up, and thus poped out the gasket and made it so watter spills into the car now. also broke the windsheild. the bulk of the weight (probably a 500lb branch) landed on the hood, which is not nearly as bad as I would have thought. still opens and closes properly :shock: but I figure that I am looking at at least $2000 to get the roof removed and a new one welded on, I can get the hood myself, so $50.00, windscreen I want new, so $400+/- and all the paintwork, probably another $1000. so it's up in the air if I am going to get it fixed or not :evil:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
That sucks. Im sorry to hear that :(

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Bad day for Saabs. Rhich hit a puddle in Putt Putt and wrecked it today (not to mention got my stuff all over the highway lol). Best of luck to both you guys.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
*tear*

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
man jeff...sorry about your car...i was in your position once tho...cept it was because of a furry four legged animal at 70 mph....but still sux...hope you have an easier time finding parts than i did...

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Forgive me if im wrong, but that doesn't look nearly as bad as I expected. Most cars that have a branch that size land on it , would've been caved in. with the window shattered or cracked. There seems to be mere dints.

Thats one hefty Saab 8)

·
7,595 Posts
True that the damage is no where near as bad as I would have thought for a branch THAT hefty to have fallen on the car… guess there was a reason Saab could stack 10 of these cars on top of each other ;) This branch was so large that there was no way to get it off the car whole, I had to chain-saw it apart while it was still on the car (thus why it has wood chips all over it in the pics where the branch is removed) :lol: chopped up, it looks like even more wood than it did when it was on the car. man, it's going to take me FOREVER to burn all that wood. BTW, this branch fell from about 4 floors up, and the power lines were the only thing that slowed the branch down at all. The hood and windscreen are finished, and there is nothing that can be done about that but replacement. Really no big thing there. The main problem area is going to be the roof. those are worse than dents, the metal is bent and is either going to need to be somehow straightened or the entire sheet metal structure replaced. I can tell right now, this is where 75% of the cost of repair is going to be. I'll shop around here...

·
Registered
79 Posts
That Saab passed the Elk Test, and Drop Test with flying colors. Thank the enginier that added those extra roof gussets on later year c900's. I have a tree thats listing over my garage and driveway too. :evil:

Reminds me of the Labor Day storm of 98'.

I'd say pick up a body hammer, some dollies, and make a slapper or two, and have at that roof. Looks fixable to me, sure your going to have to add some filler but it would be cheaper. Plus you could do something I've been wanting to do for a while, Shave the stuiped Drip Rail. Makes car look alot smoother.

Good luck
Go Swift, Go Safe, Go Saab

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car.

I've seen worse damage than that (in similar areas) repaired by crafty body men without replacing panels. Hopefully something will work out for you. Keep us posted!

·
7,595 Posts
yeah Rhich, yours looks just a little bit worse than mine does :? so that's put put 1 then? I see an 86 style bumper.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes...... Putt Putt I.........
320,000 original miles, original headgasket and believe it of not, original clutch.... was the most reliable Saab I ever owned.
Looks like I need to hurry up and get Putt Putt II on the road...
I have one good E code on the car if anyone wants it....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rhich I need a good set of E codes (H4's) for my 86 - I have an old pair needing re-chroming I can use to barder with (unless you know someone who can re-chrome them for a reasonable price) We're just happy that the two of you are fine - any war damage Rhich? How's castors parts :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can have the ecodes, chrome on the busted one not bad.. might be good for parts....
Driver's side light is fine.
Still find myself going out to the car and just looking at it...
Found a couple "war wounds" but didn't notice the black&blues until I took a shower this morning (yes I do shower.... at least once a year :wink: )
Poor Caster's parts.... boxes a little messed up but he's added more to his list anyway so have to "rebox" to fit more....

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kewl - glad you're all good tho Rhich. So when's a good time of the Summer for DeLorean and myself to take a trip to your place? We both need to get stuff from you - and I'm sure you wouldn't mind the cash 8)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts