Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock Filter....

K&N

Stock air intake silencer

Intake Silencer Elminator

Stock Stereo

Pioneer Premier DEH-P930 with Subaru pocket kit

Kartboy Short shifter and bushing

Gauges and Hands free cell kit to follow shortly...then some work with the rear suspension....

·
Registered
979 Posts
well I had the pleasure of getting to ride in Chad's 92-x this weekend. WOW is all I can say. This car looks even better in person than the pictures. Everything about it looks great. And that stereo you say looks better stock., when your in the car the colors matchup nice and it looks better when you see it in relation to the car. That kartboy shifter is sweet too super tight and short. You really have to sit in one to appreciate this car. I am psyched to see chad move on to his next project even though I am dissapointed that I no longer have the newest car of the group. *patiently waits for 300hp AWD Viggen* Plus my 9-3 would be nowhere without his help. I think I owe you like a case of Jameson

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Ya i'm going to have to agree with rcmdesign on the radio. That one you put in there does not look to pleasing to the eye.

It might be the pic though its kinda blury.

Why not get a Cone filter?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I should have wiped off the stereo before I took the pic....I definitely think that stock looks the best and will always look the best, but I'm happy with the way pioneer integrates, and the pocket kit looks 100x better than a generic pocket. The problem with keeping the stock radio is that other than an in dah six, it lacks the pioneers features...6.5volt x 3 output, 13 band Eq, Auto equalization that tunes system to the cars specific acoustics, integrated xm control...etc.etc..etc...and since the radio is all about sound, that's the route I gotta go, my ideal set-up would look stock and have all those features, but that doesn't exist...

I'll try to get some exterior shots this weekend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snow4_1man, as far as a cone filter goes, I see no advantage to this other than a slightly more agressive intake sound. The stock set-up isn't very restrictive other than the silencer box, which I removed. It's basically ram air set-up and I'd like to keep it as intactas possible. Additionally cone filters need sit very low (which I don't like for water) or in the engine bay (we all know that sux). I may do a little work to open up/or redirect more air into the factory scoop (sits on top of the radiator)

Most of the restrictions in this car come on the exhuast side, with 3 cats. That's were I will be more focused. In the end the car will not really make much more power without ecu upgrades, and if you like around, you will find that the majority of the staged upgrade kits don't do anything on the intake side.

·
Registered
361 Posts
snow4_1man said:
Why not get a Cone filter?
I spend more time on the WRX Forums than the Saab Forums ironically, and the reason you don't want a cone-filter is that the MAF sensor in the Subaru drivetrain isn't a seperate piece of tube like it is in T7 or Bosch Saabs.

The MAF sensor just plugs in the side of the tube, so if you change it to an aftermarket one you alter the sensing, which usually throws your A/F ratio off.

Intakes are a huge Faux Pas in the Subaru tuning crowd, even though lots of people use them.

Oh yes, and any kind of boost control other than stock tends to pop the motors. You can get reflashes for cheap though from people like Cobb-Tuning.

You might check www.wrxfanatics.com ... that's my favorite Subaru Enthusiast site so far. Look around in the vendor classifieds. Most of the parts are compatible. Also check out Crucial Racing. They're about the only tuner I've never seen a poorly made part come from.

Adrian~

·
Registered
876 Posts
I like the pocket but it would look better if the door, and arround the head unit and door was painted black to match the head unit. So it wouldnt stick out so much. That's what I think anyway.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
cool shizznit!

how do you like that kartboy shifter>?

and adrian are you saying that wrx's shouldnt get CAI or short ram? i know one that has cai and didnt hurt at all....infact gave him much better top end power...

·
Registered
361 Posts
iwantaviggen said:
and adrian are you saying that wrx's shouldnt get CAI or short ram? i know one that has cai and didnt hurt at all....infact gave him much better top end power...
It depends on whether the original diameter/flow-characteristics are maintained.

The only changes on the dyno are due to the intake forcing the engine to run leaner than it thinks it is. When stock, that's ok as long as it's not a big change, but when modified, that can quickly kill the engine.

It's a very dangerous thing to put an intake on any of the new Subaru engines. It generally causes more problems than it solves. The stock intake system flows very very well anyway (It's big), so why bother? Save for a nice up-pipe.

Just whatever you do, avoid the AEM C.A.I.!!! :shock:

Adrian~

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
SaabTuner said:

Adrian~
funny you say that...that is what my friend has...why should it be avoided..he took it out for the winter (thers a notice in the power loss) he wants to get a short ram...posibly perrin....he had the aem on for a good 3-4 months no problems....he also has up pipe, dp, cat back (all cats gone)

sorry to bring up the WRX but they are the same car and i think any discusion of them would help...

ps. i just pict up that Jan edition of eurotuner and they have an article (full page) and the 9-2x i will try and scan it and post it...

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
SaabTuner said:
iwantaviggen said:

Adrian~
The MAF issue is easily solved on the Scoobies with a Mass Air Flow Customizer which splices into the ecu MAF line that modifies the MAF readings toaccomidate the new intake. I know alot of WRX owners who swear by the CAI's and MBC's. Subaru will factory install a boost controller for you when you buy the car and will still honor your warranty so I can't see that Boost management is a bad thing either with the boxster motors as long as you exercise the same caution you would with any mod. Unlike the SAAB the Subaru and the 9-2x offer the ability to modify things like the MAF readings and not hurt the fuel and air mixtures while making more power. While the stock intake system in the WRX is adequate you will fine the things that most owners complain about are :
#1 --------- Resrtictive Intercooler (top mount)
#2 --------- Weak Tranny in the Non STi's
#3 --------- Restrictive intake/exhaust systems

I think that if you are going to dis the AEM CAI can you give some specs as to why you should avoid it? My buddy has had it on his car for 6 months with the piggy back MAF splice and has no problems with trim or mixture or egt in the motor? Just wondering what you are basing this info on?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i have never heard of this MAF splice... is it for all years? and how would you know if you need to run it or not?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The MAF splice was 2002 and up no STI's as the CAI's for STI's don't require it or are addressed via chiptuning. It is a piggy back product that I will dig the link up for and post it back for you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
:lol: Guys ... go hang out at WRXF or NASIOC where the REAL Subaru tuners (like Shiv from Vishnu) actually post ... TRUST ME ... MBC's and CAI's are BAD JOO JOO on WRX's. :shock:

I talk to a number of the "real tuners" at both places and have engaged in more technical discussions than I care to think of, like the camshaft comparison with Jeff Spounaugle using Tripple Integrals.

BTW the "MAF splice" ... oy ... I don't even want to get into how wrong that is. You just don't go about modifying your MAF sensor like that! Not without tuning ... heck, not even WITH tuning. Perrin does make a "big MAF" for intakes, but it still requires tuning. Subaru's are super A/F ratio sensitive ... even just a little bit lean and they pop like whack-a-moles at the arcade.

Adrian~

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
whoa my bad adrian!

we are just humble "pretend tuners"

all i was saying is, from EXPERIENCE CAI didnt do any visible harm to the car..

so how were you having a discussion on a wrxs performance..i meen i know they have experience with the car but where did you get your end of the discussion? hear say? or was it you just absorbing their knowladge.....?

i meen its not like we are making piston busting decisions here.. its just intake and exhaust and maybe a piggyback

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
The MAF splice is something that is accompanied by other tuning methods as well. AS far as your discussions with "Real Tuners" what qualifies 1 tuner as a "Real Tuner" and lets you discount another tuner. I have even seen them use a CAI on Evo's and other cars like that in Sport Compact write ups. Even back in the day companies like Steve Millen have en used MAF splices and CAI's on cars.

I find it slightly offensive when you come off with comments like I talk to a number of the "real tuners" implying that the information that others provide or have witnessed 1st HAND by actually trying things out is garbage or incorrect.

Just because you talk to a tuner that is willing or capable of throwing $$$$$ at a car to tune it "Properly" as you put it does'nt mean that the way someone else tunes it is wrong. Not everyone has the budget to back up that high dollar tuning that you are prieching about. Or maybe people have lost site of the fact that the guys who have been building and tuning cars have always been "Grassroots" in the approach. Is that wrong of them? If so we would never have had anyone produce a car that is capable of anything.

You post about "don't use this or that" but when have you actually used the product that you are thoerizing about? or even had some of your good friends use them and goto dyno days and see the real results? or even yet put it on the street and see the results?

I think the reason that most people buy a car like the WRX or an EVO or even a C900 SAAB is to make the most performance possible and will do so within the means that they have available to them.

I think that if you read my post all I was asking is what source you are basing the AEM CAI intake being the "all be it stay away from product"? I was not being rude or coming off with attitud I just wanted to know how you come to "this stated as a cold hard fact" judgement on a product I have seen work well in person and on tuner cars.

This post is not intended to be a flame or anything I just seem to see you post alot of theory and blanket statements but I never see a source or bolt on proof of it. I just get the feeling that you feel like you are so much above the rest of us and we should be humble to you and never question the proof behind it. If you are that far ahead of us I am really looking forward to seeing the cars and induction systems you will design for us in the future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts