Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it has been quite a while since I was last around these parts. The Viggen still lives, although with 171,000 miles on it. In the past two years I became engaged, and married just last month. Which would explain my absence.

But onto the pressing issue here: rear wheel alignment. Let me preface this by saying I'm an ASE certified tech by day, yet have never had a customer who wanted to shim the rear of their OG9-3 come into the shop.

I am experiencing bad tire wear in the rear, and I know what I have to do to fix it. My only problem is I do not know how many shims are required to achieve the desired results. The toe is way out on both sides, with the camber being out only on driver's side. How much of a change does each shim give, and can I rotate them 90* to achieve just a change in toe?

Hopefully there are some Saab techs left here who will have a good answer. I would rather have some good info on this before I go wasting a few hours in the shop. Thanks in advance for your helpful responses.

-Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know this probably isn't the route your looking to go, but I've had to bite the bullet twice now. Swap the axle, and reinforce it's replacement. They bend at the welds when you hit big pot holes or drive off sidewalks. I think the last car's toe was out by 3 degrees on each side. It completely burned the inside of the tires in about a month. Swapping them takes 2-3 hours if you have a lift. It'd take you only slight less time to put the shims in. Adam (A12) has a nice thread on here somewhere about reinforcing one with a few welds. I'm not certain about the shims, but rather than mess around with figuring that out I'd rather just get a known straight axle. I've had surprisingly good luck finding them at pick n' pulls, because no one else wants them, they come cheap. GL.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting. I've never heard of them bending like that, but I guess it is possible. Before I go and swap it out I'll probably end up messing around with the shims to see if I can bring my toe back in. Right now I have toe readings of -3.0mm on the driver's side rear and +2.7mm on the passenger side rear, which I guess could lead me to believe something is bent back there, as the numbers are fairly uniform and pointing in the same direction. I'm hoping that when I adjust the camber on both sides it will bring my toe closer to the spec of 0.35mm per side, 0.7mm total toe. If I get even remotely close to spec with a good camber reading I'm sticking with it.

Any other guys or girls out there with alignment knowledge?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The rear axle really is shit. I bent mine last year HARD. I got another one from Justin that has been fine so far.

You can have my old one to experiment on and brace if you want. . . .free. !

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I will keep your axle in mind, if the shimming doesn't help - I would like to tinker with them a little bit and see what I can come up with. I should be shimming and aligning next week as well as putting the snows on...already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts