Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i have been getting pretty frustrated with my car and its nack for messing up at random times when im not doing anything wrong...

any suggestions on a replacement vehicle for a daily? im going to have my saab as a toy

family owns an indy shop and we work on
benz, bmw, vw, audi, volvo, jag, and saab

any of those (except saab at the moment)
suggestions with explanation, etc...

i want it to be pretty easy to do some modding to it

OR
a nice HD sportster bobber

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Early '90s Passats. They're nothing exciting (usually) but pretty damn bulletproof. I still miss my 1991 wagon a bit.

Edit: To which you could do some stretch and poke if so desired, I guess. :shrugs:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Early '90s Passats. They're nothing exciting (usually) but pretty damn bulletproof. I still miss my 1991 wagon a bit.

Edit: To which you could do some stretch and poke if so desired, I guess. :shrugs:
That or a Jetta (diesel) and forget about gas :)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
B5 Audi S4.

I had a 2000 a few months ago, but got rid of it to save money, fix my c900's, and eventually buy another. With just a stage 1 chip (giac, apr, whatever...), the B5 S4 comes close to or surpasses 300/300. Add in all-wheel drive and you get the best of anything a car can offer....performance, handling, all-season capability, etc. One drive in a solid car makes it easy to forget about Saabs. Twin turbos and AWD make for a solid, vicious feeling car.

For $5000-$6000, you can land one in fair condition that needs TLC. For $7,000-$8,000, you can get something in real nice shape. Other than the turbos, there's nothing on the cars that isn't too bad to fix. For the price, 5-8k, you'd have a hard time find a better performing, all around car.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
That or a Jetta (diesel) and forget about gas :)
That's a good call, too, although the prices on those are usually pretty high. My 16-valve wagon got stupendous gas mileage for its age. Like nearing 30 for all-highway trips. That car really drove better than it should have most of the time.

*shakes fist at having limited driveway space back in the day*

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
B5 Audi S4.

I had a 2000 a few months ago, but got rid of it to save money, fix my c900's, and eventually buy another. With just a stage 1 chip (giac, apr, whatever...), the B5 S4 comes close to or surpasses 300/300. Add in all-wheel drive and you get the best of anything a car can offer....performance, handling, all-season capability, etc. One drive in a solid car makes it easy to forget about Saabs. Twin turbos and AWD make for a solid, vicious feeling car.

For $5000-$6000, you can land one in fair condition that needs TLC. For $7,000-$8,000, you can get something in real nice shape. Other than the turbos, there's nothing on the cars that isn't too bad to fix. For the price, 5-8k, you'd have a hard time find a better performing, all around car.
LOL, i think he's looking for a reliable dd not a money pit ;)

Edit:

Andy beat me to it :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
LOL, i think he's looking for a reliable dd not a money pit ;)

Edit:

Andy beat me to it :(
lol, he says his family owns an indy shop that works on cars like Audis so it wouldn't be that big of a money pit if the turbos were good (a big if). Other stuff, like suspension and things of that nature aren't too bad. Like all used cars, quality depends on past maintenance. S4 or camry, records and repairs are a necessity. While an S4 isn't everyone's cup of tea, it's something to at least consider. There are Audi fanatics out there that have some extremely solid vehicles for sale.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Reliable to me usually means N/A engine with a manual trans and no electric accessories(power locks, windows, mirrors, etc..).
That was my thinking when I was unemployed a year ago. It was sooo much cheaper to keep the 1992 c900 base, Li'l Red, on the road than to suffer through the 9-3's pickiness at that point.

Also. It's neat to play around with driving slow cars fast. ;)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
a 2000 Chevy Malibu is probably the most reliable car you can get. Seriously. Those 3800 Series engines are forbidden by the laws of nature to die.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Try an E30 BMW 325.... straight 6 and rwd fun, I've had a couple and they were pretty easy to work on.........

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I got a near mint 93' Geo metro - you want reliable that's the car to get! I'll sell you mine with the exhaust replaced and a new clutch for $2000 (it just ticked 90,000 miles) and I average 42MPG (cruises @ 75 on the turnpike...) Top speed was 85ish (slight down hill) 400 miles on 10 gallons of regular 87 octain :)

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol no domestic/jap imports please

kinda want to keep the driveway at home looking euro
we finaly got rid of grandma's civic and put her in an a4 avant
dont want to ruin the "theme" of what my family works on

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.