Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonight I was out at the local hangout and decided to race my friends si. Its a 00 Si with a greddy kit. So we go out and a Stock Motor GSR swapped civic with no exhaust followed. We lined up at 40 on the highway. I did the 3 honks and we were off. All 3 of us were side by side as the GSR Civic started to pull slightly. I shifted into 4th about 500rpms to early and the Si got some space on me. By about 110 the turbo Si was a little less than a car away. And the gsr had like 2 cars on me lol. I was suprised. I dunno if somethings wrong with my car though. I removed my dawes device readdapted and getting like 7-8psi spiking to 10.. where as before i spiked to 12 and was getting steady 9-10. Car feels faster now though. *shrug*

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i dont know how your stage 1 viggen lost to them....
*must be the driver* mumbled under my breath :wink:

i have lost to a GSR integ, i lost by maybe a bumper...it was a GSR with a type R set up, lots and lots of engine work!! i told him i would run him again with my SMBC..and he said wait till i get my clutch and shifter done........so we'll see what happens then

i know of another GSR that runs 100shot of NOZ with stock exhaust :shock:
he ran against my buddys moded '04 WRX without the nitrous set up and beat him by about a fender (from dead stop)

they can tune those little things pretty crazy.....

but most kids dont......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres always the chance that it wasnt stock thats just what he said. As far as the civic I guess im not too suprised. Probably making close to the same amount of power I am, with a weight advantage. Still suprising though.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
i took an 01 teg gsr with dual stage vtec (vtec controller, exhaust, intake, headers, from a dead stop...beat him by about a car length...

seems kind of odd for vtec to take you from a roll tho :?

·
7,595 Posts
saabkid37 said:
i took an 01 teg gsr with dual stage vtec (vtec controller, exhaust, intake, headers, from a dead stop...beat him by about a car length...

yeah, but your 9000 probably gets crazy traction :twisted:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
first of all what the hell is dual stage vtec? there is no such thing..... a vtec controller allows vtec to come on earlier than normal thus making a broader power band there is no dual stage

second when i had first gotten my car i raced a gsr and beat it by about half car... then the kid wanted to run again and i took him by 1 and 1/2 cars

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
no my 9k definetly has nooo traction specially on the slicked dunlops....i was just saying that it seemed odd since my cars heavier and what not...i didnt mean to piss you off :roll:

as to dual stage vtec it does exist. The apexi vtec super afcII allows you to control both intake and exhaust opening times. You can set the intake to open at one point and exhaust to open at another thus creating a two stage punch adding more air at top end for more power. I helped build the car...trust me..i know what im talking about

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
no that makes a lot more sense to me now.... i also set up a vtec controller on a car but it was one of the first... i know how the afcs work but didnt know u could do that....good to know

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
saabkid37 said:

yeah but the civics that can smoke our saabs are way beyond exhaust and vtec controlers...

they are like cams, cam gears, porting, pullys...all internal engine work....
and if they are doing all that...they are also probably making their cars lighter..

they do up their cars like yankton...meening they put as much money and time into their civic just to beat us....put one of them against yankton

just my thaughts 8)

oh and im not disrespecting the honda guys....some of them do good work....but most dont and think they do....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've thought about it all day. And I really dont think the gsr hatch was stock. Me and the Si were close. Putting down about the same power and he has weight advantage. The hatch couldnt have beat us with a stock gsr.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
BlinD said:
The hatch couldnt have beat us with a stock gsr.
i dont think so either.....those CRXs are super light and the GSR engines are pretty quick but nahh i doubt it was stock..

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Don't be suprised at an all motor GSR beating you. I have seen an all motor Integra pull high 13's in a 1/4 mile. The VTEC motor if done right can produce very high horsepower for the displacement of the motor. One of the car mags had once reported that a Honda motor put out more power per litre of displacement than any existing motor in current production (at that time). The VTEC is so good of a concept that even Toyota copied the concept with their VVTI motors.

Don't feel bad about getting walked by a modded GSR I almost got walked by a TYPE-R the other day too in my 9-3 SE HOT so I feel your pain.

·
Registered
274 Posts
One of the car mags had once reported that a Honda motor put out more power per litre of displacement than any existing motor in current production (at that time).
Yeah that was in sport compact car about a year ago, but the key word you forgot was naturally aspirated. They had the best HP/L of any N/A engine produced at that time, or at least the B-series did. Not so sure about the K-series, but apparently those are also pretty good. If you do the numbers on your viggen, 225 hp from a 2.3l turbo, and with the civic I believe GSR's are 175-180 from a 1.8l. Correct me if I'm wrong? so thats like 100hp/l each.... and you have WAAAY more torque then any honda motor. In order for him to beat you and a blown civic SI he would have had to have had a lot of internal work done on his engine, even if his car is lighter.

I have seen an all motor Integra pull high 13's in a 1/4 mile.
This must have been a full race car with stripped interior? If any of you remember the 500hp club issue of SCC from a while back, they had like a 496hp turbo integra running i believe high 12's. That was on most of the factory interior.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
What are you getting with your speedparts ECU? You should consider trying a different company. Speedparts is not too aggressive with tuning there ECU. Also you should be able to at least get a stage 3 ECU with some minor upgrades. Thats should put you ahead of that GSR

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Since we were talking about N/A motors on the cars thats why I brought it up.

Jackson racing's supercharger kit for the Civic SI is rated at 57HP with the 6-7PSi pulley on it so a Civic SI Hatch with either the mid 90's Si motor rated at 160HP or the GSR Integra motor rated at 170HP would equal the power of a Viggen with about 500LBS less weight in it.
Quote from Jackson Racing on the 99-01 SI Motor and this is base on the charger scale.
"52 more peak horsepower and 40 ft. lbs. more torque"

Here's the link to the Jackson Kit

http://jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=45243

As for the Integra yes it is stripped with 2 fiberglass race seats w/5 point harness belts, no carpet, no rear seats, Aluminum dash and lexane windows for all windows except the windshield. The guy Mike and his buddy were featured on MTV's Street racing expo and he works extensivley with JG Engine Dynamics so he can build a motor extremley well. The times Mike was turning in were in the area of 13.90 to 13.99 with slicks on and low 14's on street tires.

So I guess to answer your question yes it was a semi(joke) race prepped barley street legal Integra 1.8 litre.
Here is a perfect example of a motor swap civic that runs in the 12's.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Honda-Civic-Timeslip-3362.html

And an Integra as well.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura-Integra-Timeslip-1983.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts