Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about the future repairs and improvements I have in store for my '99 Viggen. I've owned it for about 2 years now. Had thoughts of selling it this past fall but I finally came to my senses and decided to keep it.

For the most part, everything is stock. It came with a custom Taliaferro tune, similar to Nordic Stage 1. Also has a GS open air intake. Equipped with 18 x 7.5 Fondmetal Classics. Really not a big fan of the wheels, not sure if it's the color or shape I don't like. Might make them a bit darker if I get around to it. They definitely need some TLC on the sides. Previous owner wasn't the best parallel parker.

I've pretty much fixed most of the minor oem repairs that either existed when I bought it or surfaced soon after. With some funds set aside from winter, I'm ready to start upgrading! I can't do everything on my wish list right away but I think I'll be able to make a good dent. This is what I'm thinking about for phase 1...

-Koni Adjustable Struts (already ordered from GS, on back-order)
-Vogtland Springs (haven't ordered, still open to opinions)
-R1 Concept Slotted/Drilled Rotor set (already ordered)
-Hawk HPS pads (haven't ordered)
-Goodridge Steel Brake Lines (haven't ordered)
-Moog Lower Control Arms/Balljoints (already ordered)
-GS Poly Bushing Kit (haven't ordered, researching other options)
-Steering Rack Bushings from Powerflex (bought used rack brace, no clamp)
-G2 Caliper Paint Kit
-15%-20% window tint

I did some simple before/after photoshop pics. Trying to come up with some lowering examples. Also added a little red on the calipers to get an idea, nothing pretty.

If the end result id close to this, I'll be happy:th_MySaab900Like:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up some Moog control arms/balljoints.........pretty sure I'm gonna grab some poly bushings for them. Think GS has the best deal going. Powerflex are a little more but they offer better pricing on separate bushings, no kits. EPS on ebay, which I've heard good things about, doesn't carry much for OG9-3.

I've never had any bushings installed before. I understand there's a press involved at some point. I know on the Saab DIY Platonoff, he pretty much did it himself.

Is it pretty common for most garages to have a press for this particular procedure? Same as a bearing press?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I use to dislike the wheels but they've grown on me now, id paint them a bit darker shade though

The stock bushings you can remove yourself using a gear puller but you need to cut/saw out the metal sleeve so the poly bushings can go in

Just use plantoffs method and you'll be straight

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had koni's and vogtlands on my 95 900se with viggen side skirts, the handling was perfect, but it scraped and jacking it up was a pita.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna have to purchase one of those skinny floor jacks. Also gonna try and fabricate a piece of dense thin plastic to go under front bumper.

I use to dislike the wheels but they've grown on me now, id paint them a bit darker shade though

The stock bushings you can remove yourself using a gear puller but you need to cut/saw out the metal sleeve so the poly bushings can go in

Just use plantoffs method and you'll be straight
One of the Nissan Titan packages comes with a wheel set that is a light gunmetal grey, really like it. I'll try and post a pic.

Good to know about bushings. I'll probably end up doing it myself.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the R1 Concept rotors I grabbed off ebay...

I'm usually not one to buy parts off ebay but they had some good reviews from saab owners and lots of other car owners. Plus you can't beat the price, $192 shipped for all four. Thought I'd give them a try.

I'll be getting some Hawk HPS pads to compliment them.

Any other opinions on brake pads?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's the R1 Concept rotors I grabbed off ebay...

I'm usually not one to buy parts off ebay but they had some good reviews from saab owners and lots of other car owners. Plus you can't beat the price, $192 shipped for all four. Thought I'd give them a try.

I'll be getting some Hawk HPS pads to compliment them.

Any other opinions on brake pads?
That's not a bad price...but I would inspect the rear hub area on the backs of the rotors for uneven casting lines really good. You don't want any stress points

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Are the front rotors premiums and rears the Eline? I don't see the black paint on the rears... I've been eyeing some R1's for when the time comes myself, however I will probably go slotted only.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's not a bad price...but I would inspect the rear hub area on the backs of the rotors for uneven casting lines really good. You don't want any stress points
Thanks for the heads up!

Are the front rotors premiums and rears the Eline? I don't see the black paint on the rears... I've been eyeing some R1's for when the time comes myself, however I will probably go slotted only.
They're both E-Line series. What's the dis-advantages of having drilled rotors?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
What's the dis-advantages of having drilled rotors?
I don't know that there is one... but I had a set of the Zimmerman's on my 9k, and I did have one warp badly and crack. However the caliper did lock up on me, but you could clearly see it had cracked in numerous places where it was drilled.

·
Registered
610 Posts
They're both E-Line series. What's the dis-advantages of having drilled rotors?
The holes are more likely to cause the rotor to crack than slots. Its more common on lower quality rotors.

How long is the wait for the koni's? I want to order a set, but I want to know how early to order them to get them by a certain date.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The holes are more likely to cause the rotor to crack than slots. Its more common on lower quality rotors.

How long is the wait for the koni's? I want to order a set, but I want to know how early to order them to get them by a certain date.
Guess I'm gonna have to keep an eye on them.

GS said the next pallet would be in on Wednesday 3/20 and delivered to me sometime next week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
as long as your not gonna do heavy breaking like extreme track days where your on the brakes like a break dancer on cardboard then your likely not to have a problem with the rotors cracking if they are drilled...there are to many details to consider when thinking about that(i.e. material expansion rates ect). the only problem i could imagine stressing them in street use is running them up in temp while driving and shocking them introducing water of a colder temp (puddle ect.)

·
Registered
610 Posts
GS said the next pallet would be in on Wednesday 3/20 and delivered to me sometime next week.
Nice! Well I hope you get yours quick then!

I also wouldn't worry about the rotors unless you are planning on doing any major track days in the car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as long as your not gonna do heavy breaking like extreme track days where your on the brakes like a break dancer on cardboard then your likely not to have a problem with the rotors cracking if they are drilled...there are to many details to consider when thinking about that(i.e. material expansion rates ect). the only problem i could imagine stressing them in street use is running them up in temp while driving and shocking them introducing water of a colder temp (puddle ect.)
No track days for this car! I'm definitely going to do some further research on sudden temperature variations and how that might effect the rotors.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went ahead a grabbed one of these little setups today, $25 shipped.

CD player doesn't work, been like that since I bought it. Going to try this method before messing with the original look of the car. I've heard that the Scosche gives you CD quality sound....we'll see.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Went ahead a grabbed one of these little setups today, $25 shipped.

CD player doesn't work, been like that since I bought it. Going to try this method before messing with the original look of the car. I've heard that the Scosche gives you CD quality sound....we'll see.
Wanna install something like that on my Viggen. I enjoy reading your thread gives me some inspiration to some day take mine out of the garage...

Where did you get that for $25?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.