Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, title says it all. I just replaced it with a TD-04 I had "on hand" for the day this finally happened. I had been expecting it for a while, and one day about a week ago, the car suddenly lost boost. All of it, not just base boost. Again, I was kind of expecting this with almost 90K miles of hard driving with an "LPT tune" & 100K+ of presumably normal driving.

Upon removal of the failed GT17, it was missing only a single blade on the exhaust side of the turbo. This was clearly enough to put it way out of balance and destroy the bearing, as there was significantly more than normal play in the unit as well as some indication that the compressor blades were starting to come in contact with the compressor side of the turbo hosing.

So anyway, with the new TD04, it really is a significant improvement... Comparing the GT17 & the TD04 side to side, meh... the things look pretty darn close size-wise... but driving back to back, yeah. The TD04 is far better. The GT17 made the car behave like a Diesel. It made great low end power and torque, but there was no reason to shift above 4800 RPM as it fell flat on it's face. The standard 9-5 aero turbo really improves this, however the low-end performance is actually pretty similar between the 2.

SO yes. I am happy with this upgrade. Anyone with a failed GT17 should go ahead and replace it with a TD04. It will be an improvement.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Did you re-flash the ECU or are you still running the same GT17 tune? I woud imagine you re-mapped an Aero Stage something for it - no more then a 2 since you have stock exhaust still. Glad to hear that crop duster got a nice upgrade - guess you're keeping that car now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Im doing mine today...I am actually amazed how cheap parts are right now...must be the economy...I called around and found a TD04 from a 2007 Saab 9-5 with 30K miles on it...he sold it to me 250 shipped. Although I hate when you ask for the turbo lines and they say no problems, and you get all cut lines...what a waste ! Hope I enjoy my turbo as much as you...I am a little concerned because I have the BSR stage 1 for the GT17 turbo and the BSR tuner broke on me...I'm hoping that tune will be OK for the TD04 until I can tune the ECU...195K is impressive that turbo was probably working at about 50% capacity and once you get a tune you will really have a smile on your face :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I wonder if it lost the turbine blade to over heating or lost the bearing and then collided with the housing.

EDIT: Stock aero tunes are still not amzing, the lose boost at the top end and have almost no responsiveness if you hit the gas above 5000 rpms. I suspect this has something to do with the #5 housing being too small for good top end performance.

I want to swap to a #6 housing and updated cobra and see if I can hold 13 psi to redline. Should make some wicked power.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
td04 made a huge difference on my dad's 03 linear. i replaced his gt17 at 90k; didnt want to have to worry about the thing blowing up on him

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nah, it would have never gotten through the 9-5's tiny intercooler passages.

EDIT: I wonder if it got caught in the cat or blew a hole straight through it.
It probably got lodged in the monolith material. No worries. Also, had the compressor side gone out, and bits through the engine, it typically does not do any damage unless the pieces are larger then the valve openings. It will just pump them in and out just as it does with air & fuel.

I would not have even bothered to fix this so soon after it quit on me, but the 91 200 20VQ-T has started leaking gas, again... and the notchbacks junkyard engine now has a bad headgasket... and my 300-TD needs brakes! So the 9-5 and my Audi 90, 90 20V-Q are the only real operational cars at the moment that are inspected & legal! Only 2 cars for me is very unusual, and if I had not fixed the 9-5 I would have had nothing working but a 1990 Audi 5 cyl with the fancy motor! After that, it's nothing but my Honda Nighthawk, or the Toro Workmaster. Those would not be a good choice for my "occupation"

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
That Honda Nighthawk requires a Motorcycle permit or license to operate - something you are lacking - so that vehicle is out ;) I think I am going to get my permit so I can ride your bikes since you can't use them :D lol

You really ought to get that 98' CSE legal and drive that around a little, they don't like to sit long...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yep, title says it all. I just replaced it with a TD-04 I had "on hand" for the day this finally happened. I had been expecting it for a while, and one day about a week ago, the car suddenly lost boost. All of it, not just base boost. Again, I was kind of expecting this with almost 90K miles of hard driving with an "LPT tune" & 100K+ of presumably normal driving.

Upon removal of the failed GT17, it was missing only a single blade on the exhaust side of the turbo. This was clearly enough to put it way out of balance and destroy the bearing, as there was significantly more than normal play in the unit as well as some indication that the compressor blades were starting to come in contact with the compressor side of the turbo hosing.

So anyway, with the new TD04, it really is a significant improvement... Comparing the GT17 & the TD04 side to side, meh... the things look pretty darn close size-wise... but driving back to back, yeah. The TD04 is far better. The GT17 made the car behave like a Diesel. It made great low end power and torque, but there was no reason to shift above 4800 RPM as it fell flat on it's face. The standard 9-5 aero turbo really improves this, however the low-end performance is actually pretty similar between the 2.

SO yes. I am happy with this upgrade. Anyone with a failed GT17 should go ahead and replace it with a TD04. It will be an improvement.
Where did you get the oil & coolant lines?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You dont need new oil and coolant lines...you need larger copper crush washers to seal the smaller banjo bolts...Im actually going to use banjo fittings with high pressure braided oil/fuel lines...I really dont like the way they steel hard lines look...anyone have a good source for the lines and banjo fittings ?

Found these...

http://www.tm-developments.com/inde...ucts_id=1080&zenid=e89rtbmgsfr3stvlfdduvbc0u2

This one looks a little cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e..._id=143266187820&ua=?*I8&itemid=150490734519$

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have never dropped the pan or taken the engine apart in any way, not even a valve cover gasket. The motor operates as-new, always run on non synthetic but changed regularly. One thing I do need to do is have my "tuner" make a proper tune for it, as the GT17 tune is not playing well with the TD04. Occasionally, flooring it at low RPM's makes it go into some sort of fault mode where it only allows base boost till I shut the car off and re-start it.

BS42, As for the 90, yeah that does need brakes too. It would also be nice to make it so that ABS does not randomly activate. I do no longer have a single car with less than 190K on the ODO. I do rack em up fast.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Nah, it would have never gotten through the 9-5's tiny intercooler passages.

EDIT: I wonder if it got caught in the cat or blew a hole straight through it.
on my old 9k i decided to remove the intercooler and clean it out ( post blowing 9+ t25's) the meatle shards that came out were many

the motor blew soon after for unrelated reasons

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Thats quite a feet there!

My moms GT17 on her 03 linear wagon lasted only about 50K miles.

Yes, we replaced it with a TD-04, and got a stage 1 Aero tune. Bit much for a her/a grocery getter. But hey, why not?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.