Saab Link Forums banner

97 9000 cse 2.3T 5speed, turbo upgrade, T3/T4 or T25/T28

11K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  saabkid37 
#1 ·
I am planning on getting a new turbo eventually, but i cannot decide which to get. I have the manifold of an 89 9000 turbo, and it has the flange for a t3 turbo. I am going to get a new intercooler with about 500-600cfm aiflow, and also a new 3" turbo back exhaust, so the spooling of the T3/T4 should be fine. Im hoping for around 300hp eventualy.

Im just curious on anyones opinion. What would be the best trim to select on either of them? Should i consider something other than those two? So if you have any suggestions, feel free to add your 2 cents, thanks.

#3 ·
well...i just went through the same thing...basically neither of those turbos will meet your needs...and 300 hp is a little more difficult than software and a turbo...theres a couple other things that need to be done...i have the same goal and im also swapping to a non turbo intake manifold and intake cam and a few othe rthings. check out kyankton.net and look at the 9000 aero he built.

back on topic...basically if i understand correctly your best bet is the td04hl-15T turbo (out of the aero) or something bigger...t3/t4 have too many disadvantages and are hard to hook up on saabs, and the t28 isnt much better than the t25...

thats about alli know...anyone else wanna throw in some advice?

#4 ·
from what I understand, the main problem with the T3/T4's is spool up. it's a rather old design, and while it works- and does work well, it's not that efficient and it will show in spool up time. Top end however, a T3/T4 should out flow the TD04HL-15T's for sure, probably by a fair measure. all in all, I think best drivability on a car with under 280 HP, the TH04 would probably be the best bet. a 280 HP TD04 car would be a lot faster than a T3/T4 car because it would be in boost range way before the T3/T4 would be. My guess is that for 320+ HP, you would be overspinning the TD04 so much, that it would be basically be blowing heat! I think the T3/T4 could probably take that- no problems.

#6 ·
Welcome to the best place to learn about SAABs.....

As you know T3/T4....is a hybrid style turbo...with benefits of the smaller turbo's spool up, and larger turbo's power. But you might consider helping the car breath and exhaust better before changing the turbo... Your 9000 may be able to accomodate the larger turbo, but you'll want to consider things like eliminating lag.

I've had my eye on a Garrett GT28RS as one of my next turbo upgrade...but will probably have to consider larger injectors.., and a different fuel pressure regulator. So I just had my Mitubisi td04 modified on the exhaust housing side....using a larger but clipped wheel, and had the housing ported out to accomodate it...., it will give me 18T performance from the 15T it used to be.... My base boost will be 11psi with a software change....after dynoing... I expect about 300+ on my NG.

I think I'll stop there with engine mods....., I think :? I think :? ...I think 8)

regards

#7 ·
saabkid37 said:
well im goin for 300 no more so ill be goin with the tdo4 and if it dont work ill be mad cuz originnaly everyone told me to use it! lol

but ill let everyone know...should have one soon...
yeah, that is the one you want. also- there are variations on the TD04 that you can go for, like the TH04HL-16, 17, 19 G models. those things are HUGE! the 19G would probably only have marginally better spool up than the T3/T4, but once you are at top boost look out! :lol: only thing is when you "do the math" that turbo is probably going to end up coming out to having the capacity of like 500 HP on a 2.0 engine, and unless you got some SERIOUS mods, you are never going to be able to use it to it's full potential.

#9 ·
saabkid37 said:
well...i just went through the same thing...basically neither of those turbos will meet your needs...and 300 hp is a little more difficult than software and a turbo...theres a couple other things that need to be done...i have the same goal and im also swapping to a non turbo intake manifold and intake cam and a few othe rthings. check out kyankton.net and look at the 9000 aero he built.

back on topic...basically if i understand correctly your best bet is the td04hl-15T turbo (out of the aero) or something bigger...t3/t4 have too many disadvantages and are hard to hook up on saabs, and the t28 isnt much better than the t25...

thats about alli know...anyone else wanna throw in some advice?
the mitubisi t28 is the 9000 aero's td04hl...., while the t25 is the td03....mixing the two is the hybrid style...t3/t4 you mentioned. The t28 is rated about 50+ hp more than the t25...something to think about.

the 9000 aero's turbo...uses a larger oval port of 6cm2 on the exhaust manifold inlet to the turbo.... at least that's what I've learned.

"It's all about the air..."

regards

#10 ·
Book to buy - I am getting one
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=gtur
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...&isToBeGiftWrapped=0&store=books&quantity.2=1

My one friend at my school has this - I was reading it - VERY kewl book. Even tells you all the math you need to do to figure the best turbo for your car!!

Also explains about a different turbo which mounts AFTER the cat - and spools faster and stronger - better then ANY bearing unit. I am interested in locating one or two of these style units - but he said they are on the NSX - and a few other rare cars and are just hard to get. Anyone got an NSX for parts? :lol:

#12 ·
so update on my planned setup....im gonna be using a td04hl-15t with external wastegate...external only because the turbos a litle umm...odd for some reason lol..long story. gonna cost me more than i wanted tho since i have to find a shop to weld the external gate to the exhaust manifold...we shall see how it works.

#15 ·
actually paul the we means you im not planning on doing any of it since it was your idea (joking of course) lol

i was looking at pictures of PAs aero (the 400 whp sqr aero) and hes running what looks to be the 50mm version of the external gate im going to be using...how exciting eh?! :roll: :wink:

#18 ·
Weeks9000 said:
I am planning on getting a new turbo eventually, but i cannot decide which to get. I have the manifold of an 89 9000 turbo, and it has the flange for a t3 turbo. I am going to get a new intercooler with about 500-600cfm aiflow, and also a new 3" turbo back exhaust, so the spooling of the T3/T4 should be fine. Im hoping for around 300hp eventualy.

Im just curious on anyones opinion. What would be the best trim to select on either of them? Should i consider something other than those two? So if you have any suggestions, feel free to add your 2 cents, thanks.
I would consider this turbo:
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-004&Category_Code=GRT

It´s basically a "bolt on" upgrade" to your car.
You should see 20psi of boost from 2500rpm until 6500 rpm.

/Marko

#19 ·
Alot of info

i was thinking about the mitsubishi TD04, my only worry is its psi at the higher rpms, do you guys think with the 3" turbo back exaust, the intercooler with 500+ cfm, and mabey a non turbo intake that it would spool just fine. I just see that with the other turbos, i would have to run them a bit too hard for the power i want, and they probably wouldnt last too long.

also, thanks for all the info.

#20 ·
Re: Alot of info

Weeks9000 said:
i was thinking about the mitsubishi TD04, my only worry is its psi at the higher rpms, do you guys think with the 3" turbo back exaust, the intercooler with 500+ cfm, and mabey a non turbo intake that it would spool just fine. I just see that with the other turbos, i would have to run them a bit too hard for the power i want, and they probably wouldnt last too long.

also, thanks for all the info.
The 9000Aero TD04HL-15T #6 i a nice turbo for 300hp and it will last a long time.
Going from a turbo intake manifold to a non turbo is pointless.

/Marko

#21 ·
as discusssed earlier in the thread the manifold swap is definetly not pointless and has been proven to prvide a good amount more torque...whether the swap is worth the work i dont know...but i still want to do it regardless as im basically getting the parts for free almost...plus i got airtools for xmas soo...

#22 ·
saabkid37 said:
as discusssed earlier in the thread the manifold swap is definetly not pointless and has been proven to prvide a good amount more torque...whether the swap is worth the work i dont know...but i still want to do it regardless as im basically getting the parts for free almost...plus i got airtools for xmas soo...
Trying out the new airtools isn´t pointless mate :D

#23 ·
ok

saabkid, let me know if the swap of your turbo intake manifold to a non turbo goes well, sounds interesting, and also what kind of turbo you are going to put on.

#25 ·
saabkid

you doing any software upgrade with the turbo?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.