Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My once-green '70 96 came back to me unexpectedly with all of the rust fixed. I decided to shoot it with some black primer and go for the rat rod look. I still need to decide what color to do the wheels. I have some ideas for interior treatments.

Stay tuned for updates.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My once-green '70 96 came back to me unexpectedly with all of the rust fixed. I decided to shoot it with some black primer and go for the rat rod look. I still need to decide what color to do the wheels. I have some ideas for interior treatments.
Looks good like that! You're gathering a serious collection of 96s.
What do you mean by "unexpectedly with the rust fixed" ?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good like that! You're gathering a serious collection of 96s.
What do you mean by "unexpectedly with the rust fixed" ?
Here's a "before" picture:

Long story short, I owned and drove this car for about five years during which time it got rustier and then banged up in an accident. About two years ago I sold it to my uncle up in New Hampshire who was looking for an oddball car project. He stripped it and repaired all of the rust and accident damage then lost interest and asked me if I wanted it back, all I had to do in return was make this delivery for him.

I honestly had no idea what I was going to do with the car (in the meantime I'd acquired a rust-free '72 96 driver) and then a light bulb went off in my head, rat rod! So before I brought it home we shot it in black primer. I may one day give it a proper paint job again but for now I'm going to enjoy it as is. It should satisfy my 96 fix will I spend the time do a proper restoration to my '72.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love red wheels but it seems like everybody's doing them with black primer these days. Almost thinking of going with a light grey, kind of the same color that the wheels are in primer now. I definitely want to cut the springs and drop it an inch or two.

I also ordered a pair of these, one for each front fender, the Swedish Air Force insignia:

I've got one of these wheels in very nice condition that will go in there, will help add to the "vintage" look I'm going for:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.