Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just noticed that is leaking in between the block and gear box,
the gears are going in fine, the engine oil is at the line, i took the cover where the slave is and is full of oil.... any idea. the seal in the gear box???

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
check your brake fluid; sounds like it may be the seals in the clutch slave are gooonneee

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
How much does it leak?

If your rear main seal is toast and the check valve going to the PCV nipple is bad pressure from the turbo into the crankcase will blow oil out the seals when you're accelerating.

Could also be input shaft seal @ the transmission.

Drew

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
how does used motor oil get into your transmission? This is how it sounds to me when I read it.

If you are leaking motor oil from where the trans and the engine are mated - there is a GOOD change it's the rear main seal, however I would look into all other options first to ensure things are hooked up and working as they are intended so that there isn't excessive pressure forcing the leak.

That aside - if it's gear oil, it can be dealt with very easily. 1 Gallon of gear oil and top off as needed. This is how my 87' 9000 was - went though 1 gallon every 3 months. The fluid was a clean as it ever could be - and I knew it needed fluid when first and second gear needed a little effort to engage :) Aside from that you can run a 9000 gearbox on pretty much no gear oil and get around - previous owner of my 87' must have done this for months if not years.... gears all worked perfect and never popped out either.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
n/a will have much shorter gear ratios so if you use it the acceleration will be faster but kiss your highway mpg's good by

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah - pricey! Could have bought mine for $290ish and I'd of met you part way :)
See man I would love to but, I don't have time to go half way I work from 6am to 9pm
So is kinda of pain but Is life, the car is going to be ready this weekend, the parts for saab out here are pricey very the same tranny in vt or nh is 600 to 750 with 180k.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
See man I would love to but, I don't have time to go half way I work from 6am to 9pm
So is kinda of pain but Is life, the car is going to be ready this weekend, the parts for saab out here are pricey very the same tranny in vt or nh is 600 to 750 with 180k.
Understood

1 - 20 of 32 Posts