Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after my fill up yesterday that my car reeked of gas. I have the rear seat folded up for transport of gear so there is access to the tank. Are these cars known to leak anywhere in particular? New fuel pump 3 years ago with new fuel line.

TIA

Drew

7900 post woo hoo inserts foot in mouth

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
did you install the fuel line "recall" "T" to hold the lines in from popping out? Could be a torn rubber hose too. I'd get a match and start looking around under there* You may light up the problem :) (use a flashlight.....)

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you install the fuel line "recall" "T" to hold the lines in from popping out? Could be a torn rubber hose too. I'd get a match and start looking around under there* You may light up the problem :) (use a flashlight.....)
They have rubber hoses? Mine has hard plastic.

I don't recall using a T.

Is the recall still active?

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
The t is all of $3.40 on eEuro. I replaced it during the pump swap in my 9-5, but I didn't see any difference. Maybe my car has the newer version.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
You may be able to tell quite a bit just through the opening, but there is a chance you may have to drop it.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My car still smells of gas with a full tank and is getting horrible gas milage. I inspected all of the hard lines and the soft ones. Anyone have a similar situation? i only put 20 bux in at a time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, first, is your thermostat ok? If its open then the car could run very rich with a cold engine and poor fuel economy.

Next and most likely, you need to check the vacuum hoses under the hood. That's second to cause fuel problems. The hoses are old and get loose and leak at connection points. My PVC hose to the valve cover was very loose. This caused fluctuating fuel economy issues that went away after replacing the hose. If there are any loose hoses in the vacuum system this could also cause gas vapors to leak out of the emission system and feed right into the cabin air vent.

So if everything is fine in the back of the car, I'd be checking the hoses in the front and make sure all the emission vacuum hoses have tight connections and have not collapsed.

lastly, since you replaced the rusted filler neck, I assume, you've made sure all connections to the tank are tight and secure and nothing came loose while repairing these parts?

Sometimes when you fix one part, you break another part that was old and cracked anyway.

Poor fuel economy leads me to finding a leak in the vacuum/emission system hose. Does the tank properly vent? Has your fuel cap been tested for proper pressurization?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts