Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have owned my 93 9000CS since January (for 500$ one owner all its life who is a friend of mine for 10 years) of this year. It has been great up until earlier this week when the clutch started dropping to the floor more and more, and today the clutch was TOTALLY on the floor. I had a lot of trouble getting it out of gear since I could barely pump it.

Do you guys have any idea what it can be? A simple bleed?

The clutch seemed fine otherwise, it was not slipping or anything.

This also happened on my 01 A4, where I had to pump the clutch to get it out of gear and also rev matching in order to get it to the shop.

Any and all ideas would be extremely helpful. I absolutely LOVE this car, just wish it was turbo :)

(sorry if it has been discussed before but i am leaving for work and i don't have the time right now to search)

Thanks,

Stefan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the fluid and its fine. It might need to be changed soon, but the fluid level is OK. So i dont think its the slave in that case. I won't know until i check the housing.

I ripped off the stuff by the clutch pedal, and played around with it. Its the usual stuff, depress and it doesnt want to pop back up like there is no pressure behind it. It makes a weird "spring" noise when its depressed.

any ideas on what that noise is?

Should i be looking for something specific behind the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I checked the fluid and its fine. It might need to be changed soon, but the fluid level is OK. So i dont think its the slave in that case. I won't know until i check the housing.

I ripped off the stuff by the clutch pedal, and played around with it. Its the usual stuff, depress and it doesnt want to pop back up like there is no pressure behind it. It makes a weird "spring" noise when its depressed.

any ideas on what that noise is?

Should i be looking for something specific behind the clutch pedal?
With mine, the rubber bushings that guide the piston into the main unit were all rotted and missing, and a lot of that probably ended up stuck inside. The spring noise could well be the piston inside binding on the metal. I'd say go ahead and spend the $115 for a new master (or if you can find a lightly used one for cheaper) go ahead and swap it in, bleed it, and see where that gets ya. You should be good for at least a week or two after that, since even just a bleed will tend to help. If it persists, then you'll have to go for the slave.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With mine, the rubber bushings that guide the piston into the main unit were all rotted and missing, and a lot of that probably ended up stuck inside. The spring noise could well be the piston inside binding on the metal. I'd say go ahead and spend the $115 for a new master (or if you can find a lightly used one for cheaper) go ahead and swap it in, bleed it, and see where that gets ya. You should be good for at least a week or two after that, since even just a bleed will tend to help. If it persists, then you'll have to go for the slave.
Thank you for your reply.

Where can I find it that cheap or even cheaper? Every little bit will help as I am a full time student and this is my only car at the moment.

I have found the master on most sites for 130-190$.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Where can I find it that cheap or even cheaper? Every little bit will help as I am a full time student and this is my only car at the moment.

I have found the master on most sites for 130-190$.
Yeah man no problem, I am in the exact same boat. Seriks1 was able to find it at the local auto parts store for me, so it's definitely worth checking around. If you can't find one, see if you can pull one at a junkyard, with any luck it'll at least last you until you're able to afford a new one. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah man no problem, I am in the exact same boat. Seriks1 was able to find it at the local auto parts store for me, so it's definitely worth checking around. If you can't find one, see if you can pull one at a junkyard, with any luck it'll at least last you until you're able to afford a new one. Good luck!
Haha, awesome! Glad it worked out for you.

Yeah I just started a second job and full time school... worst timing for this to happen!

I will check around though!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My guess is that it's the Master Cylinder as well. Much more fun to change than the slave.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
385 Posts
damn that's a pain. This then is the only Slave to buy:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=4904579
Because of the serious work in getting at the slave, It's also clever to replace the Clutch/pressure plate as well as the throwout bearing while it's apart.
Yes this adds considerably to the cost .. But it's a helluva lot of work.. so make sure ..the existing clutch is in good condition so you won't be having to it all over again in the Spring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.