Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found a 93 tranny mines a 94 motor i heard that doesnt work is that true?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
That is correct. Some say the bell housings can be switched but I can't vouch for that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn when i pulled my motor i think i mucked up the selector and may need a whole new tranny

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Do you mean the a manual select rod that comes out of something like a FM numbered trans? It is possible to change it out, part was available from Saab.

Correct 91-93 and 94>

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The input shaft for the clutch disc is larger on the '94+ boxes too, so you'd have to use the early style clutch.

·
Registered
385 Posts
One small variant: the 93 aero is effectively a 94 model as far as newer trans etc.
Zooo a 93 aero trans will fit a later car.. If you have one handy :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
One small variant: the 93 aero is effectively a 94 model as far as newer trans etc.
As far as I know this is not true. I had a 93' aero that was totaled and the trans ended up in an older 9000.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Nope, they are different. The Aeros got taller gear ratios, but it's the old generation box.

Lots of internal parts changed - '94+ have synchronized reverse gears and revised shift linkage, different syncros, etc., it's why they feel so much nicer.

Drew

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sorry Boys... but MY 93 Aero's transbox IS identical to the later cars ones.
Seeing as I have had this completely apart recently, I'm aware with what fits into MY car :)
Perhaps USA market received some bodged Aero version in 93? Gee.. that's never happened before :)
No other explanation comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Sorry Boys... but MY 93 Aero's transbox IS identical to the later cars ones.
Seeing as I have had this completely apart recently, I'm more than aware with what fits into MY car :)
Perhaps USA market received some mickey moused Aero version in 93?
No other explanation comes to mind.
you wacky Canadians!!!!

Must be a US thing, because every '93 tranny I've seen (aero included) is NOT the same as a 1994. Wish they were though. I could use one. :(

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Every US market Aero I have ever seen had the small input shaft, "old" bellhousing pattern transmission.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I bet his trans was swapped out at some point for an earlier 91-93 turbo/NA trans and doesn't know the difference. That or the entire drive train for a later one.

Europe didnt get anything much over the US spec '93 aero

So you canadians probably got the same. You're nothing special.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
that is incorrect. a 93 aero still uses the same motor as a 91-92 9k and same trans bolt pattern

very simply put 93 aero run t5.2, this uses the old styl CPS which is found on the older gen motor. (which also has the older gen bell housing)

if its running t5.2, than it has the old style gearbox

is your car running t5.2? and if so could it just be an early run 1994?? new model years start in sept so the date badging could be a layover

·
Registered
385 Posts
No all numbers match, it IS the later 2.3 setup .
This 93 Aero IS similar to 94 us market spec.. period.
Initialy assumed it was somehow 'suspect' (title), but was ultimately checked by Saab through VIN as the genuine item.
There are other market models apparently.
Example: recent Saabs in Europe, were (are? if Saab is still viable) mostly diesel powered, just to confuse.
Even 900's were available 'here' with 16v turbo engines in '85, a model year earlier than the US market.
Not that any of this helps the Kid with the beater, looking to retrofit a trans.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
My white '93 Aero is actually a Canadian market model that was imported about 7 years ago, it definitely has the old style transmission same as my brother's US market '93 Aero - I've done the clutch on both of them, and they both have the small input shaft and the mid-year clutch setup.

Ditto on wondering about your car, the easy way to tell if it has the whole later engine is if the crank position sensor is on the front of the block sort of in front of cylinder #4, or if it's behind the crank pulley by the oil pump.

The early blocks with the CPS behind the pulley have completely different timing covers, so if your '93 says MY93 on the decal under the hood but has the crank sensor on the front you either got a very very late production '93, or someone might have swapped a powerplant into yours?

I had an MY95 9000 CS in the shop this week that actually had an MY94 wiring harness in it, had the old style 70-pin grey plug inside the fishtank next to the ECU rather than the later style 24-pin round plug that couples through the fishtank. Took a solid hour of staring at the wiring diagrams to figure out what the hell the problem was, maybe something like that happened to yours?

Drew

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don't Know and frankly don't care about the 'correctness'.
Crank sensor is at belt end of motor. Trans required the 94-98 Clutch and Slave and the Vin/ engine/ trans numbers were verified accurate by Saab Canada. Good enough for me :)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
lawl canadians.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts