Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Proud owner of a 92 classic convertible in metallic , picture attached, I hope. We've had it a couple of years and use it summers only. My question is, can anyone recommend a place to get an oil leak fixed? The car is in downeast Maine, near Castine. The leak is on the passenger side, well forward. It is an auto box.

This is our fourth classic convertible - one in California, two in the UK, then this one. My absolute favorite was the burgundy one whose photo I've also attached. It was my top car ever.

Thanks for any help you can give.

K

PS I've put a similar post in the New member section. Sorry to anyone who's ended up reading both. The other one didn't have photos, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Do you know where the leak is coming from... valve cover, distributor, engine/transmission seam, craknshaft seal? Narrowing it down will help us tell you weather you can fix it yourself, or how much it may cost to fix if you have to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed, thank you very much for getting back on this one.

I'm trying to do this remotely at the moment, which doesn't help. I live in England most of the time but visit Maine for part of the year. The oil has leaked a fair amount - say a pint - over the six months or so since last summer that it has been standing. It is pooling a little inboard of the passenger side front wheel.
Because it is leaking while standing, I'm guessing it must be something towards the bottom of the engine. Sump? Half shafts? Are there any regular things that go?
Because I'm not there that often a reliable shop to use would be a big help anyway. For some reason my wife gets cross if I spend our big foreign vacation each year working on the car....

regards

K

·
Registered
451 Posts
It is pooling a little inboard of the passenger side front wheel.
Ahead of, behind, or in the center of the wheel? Auto box cars had a transmission cooler with lines routed on that side of the engine bay, but more likely what you're describing is a leak from the power steering reservoir - pump return line. It's basic rubber hose and deteriorates with age.

There really isn't anything on these cars that will leak oil in that quanity while standing on that side of the car. The turbo will leak oil, but only while running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jjorgensen. Is the power steering fluid easy to distinguish from oil? I'll get someone up there to check the fluid reservoir anyway. If it has leaked as much as it has, the reservoir must be pretty much empty by now.
Could it be a cracked sump? The roads are pretty rough round there.

K

And by the way Abdukted, I haven't a clue who Ed is! I've read back what I wrote and I have no idea why I put "Ed". None. Absolutely none. Just losing it, I guess.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks Jjorgensen. Is the power steering fluid easy to distinguish from oil? I'll get someone up there to check the fluid reservoir anyway. If it has leaked as much as it has, the reservoir must be pretty much empty by now.
Could it be a cracked sump? The roads are pretty rough round there.

K
[\QUOTE]
If you managed to crack the oil sump for the engine by driving on rough roads, you deserve some kind of award (and should probably look for structural damage!) I've bottomed my SPG out in Maine a couple times pretty hard and never hurt anything.

It is possible for the reservoir to leak on the PS, in fact I think it's fairly common for the earlier (transparent) reservoirs to break. It will leak about a quart before the pump line and reservoir are totally empty

1 - 10 of 10 Posts